Anyone got a Chilli Penguin Short Stove?...If so whats your opinion?

Featured Posts

Sorry for a slightly non boat question but it is related as I think these stoves have been fitted on boats

We are now at the stage to look in earnest for a new stove for the cottage.

As there seems to be a possibility that we might become a clean air zone at some point sadly it looks like refurbing the existing squirrel might not be the best idea......looked at a Short Chilli Penguin in a showroom and it looks like its going to fit the tiny hearth we have and seems pretty well built....Just wondering if anyone has one on a boat and what they think of them? I am a little wary of it being steel rather than cast iron but think that might be my old fashioned idea...I guess it wont move and warp...Id also would have liked separate ash & fire doors but these seem few and far between now....and they do have a 10 year warranty which seems pretty good.

11 minutes ago, frangar said:

Sorry for a slightly non boat question but it is related as I think these stoves have been fitted on boats

We are now at the stage to look in earnest for a new stove for the cottage.

As there seems to be a possibility that we might become a clean air zone at some point sadly it looks like refurbing the existing squirrel might not be the best idea......looked at a Short Chilli Penguin in a showroom and it looks like its going to fit the tiny hearth we have and seems pretty well built....Just wondering if anyone has one on a boat and what they think of them? I am a little wary of it being steel rather than cast iron but think that might be my old fashioned idea...I guess it wont move and warp...Id also would have liked separate ash & fire doors but these seem few and far between now....and they do have a 10 year warranty which seems pretty good.

At least it wont crack, we have a steel wood burner at home, not a Chille and not had a problem, probably more than 10 yeas old, 

We have 2, a woody multi fuel in our house (currently taking some of the dampness away with this great bank holiday weather) and a hungry penguin on our narrowboat. I couldn't honestly say if one metal box to contain fire is better than any other one but in the case of the 2 we have, they work really well, we haven't had any problems, seem well made and they are local(ish). Cooking in the upper oven on the boat is a nice benefit and they seem easily controllable (both sizes). I'd recommend.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, F328GTS said:

We have 2, a woody multi fuel in our house (currently taking some of the dampness away with this great bank holiday weather) and a hungry penguin on our narrowboat. I couldn't honestly say if one metal box to contain fire is better than any other one but in the case of the 2 we have, they work really well, we haven't had any problems, seem well made and they are local(ish). Cooking in the upper oven on the boat is a nice benefit and they seem easily controllable (both sizes). I'd recommend.

That’s reassuring to know! We can only fit the short one in the house but I did like the oven version. 

Do you burn wood or solid fuel on them…I’m hoping to burn mainly wood but I did notice they lack the external riddler that a squirrel has for solid fuel. They do seem a nice solidly built stove…and I’m glad to hear you find them controllable. 

Many thanks for the information. 

52 minutes ago, frangar said:

That’s reassuring to know! We can only fit the short one in the house but I did like the oven version. 

Do you burn wood or solid fuel on them…I’m hoping to burn mainly wood but I did notice they lack the external riddler that a squirrel has for solid fuel. They do seem a nice solidly built stove…and I’m glad to hear you find them controllable. 

Many thanks for the information. 

That normally indicates wood burning only on the floor of the stove

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Nope the model I’m looking at has a grate & ashpan just not an external riddler

24 minutes ago, F328GTS said:

Ours are both multifuel so we burn everything, but usually wood.  Not all versions are multi though

I’m looking at the multifuel versions…want to have all the options 

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My Multifuel Stovax Stockton has a rigid grid in the base with no external riddle.

The missing riddle is a bloddy nuisance.

(If something that's not there, can be!)

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Nope the model I’m looking at has a grate & ashpan just not an external riddler

Got you, i thought you meant it didn't have them so got it wrong

I have had one on my boat for about 8 years and it is brilliant! Easy to set-up  and get going and uisng homefire ovals, will keep going for about 8 hours!! Easy to clean etc. 

• Greenie 1

16 hours ago, Faraday Mike said:

I have had one on my boat for about 8 years and it is brilliant! Easy to set-up  and get going and uisng homefire ovals, will keep going for about 8 hours!! Easy to clean etc. 

That’s really good to know. Many thanks for the information….think one is now definitely on the short list of suitable stoves. 

I know you were asking about a particular stove, but have you had a look at the Salamander Hobbit? It's small. top and bottom doors, external riddler and quite a bit cheaper than the Penguin.