Seeking Llangollen Canal Itinerary Advice

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, VisitingFromCalifornia said:

This is the site I was on prior to the error pages screen capped. This tends to happen when I hit "confirm" after making changes of any kind (e.g., changes in preferences or setting the trip to number of days instead of 7 hour day default). I'm afraid I am not motivated to create an account for a bug report under the circumstances - I've described the issue to the best of my ability here and under the circumstances don't anticipate that having an account on the site to track the credentials of will serve any purpose for me. 

There must be something sitting between you and our server which is trashing the urls. We don't do any rewriting at the domain level as the site supports multiple different domains - so if you start on canalplan.org.uk then you stay on it. No-one else seems to be reporting problems to us either through here or Facebook or Twitter and we've had 41 PDF routes generated today. If you can send me your IP address via Private message I'll dig into the server logs and bug reports to see if I can see anything obvious. 

I did notice something very odd - that authentication token is for user 23   Users of 90 and below were only used for Beta testing and were discarded. Current users IDs are in the mid 2550s Auth tokens like that are send in the User account confirmation email and are a one use token which is never used again once we've confirmed that the account request is genuine. After that you login on the front page using user ID or Social App auth.  Logins are not needed to plan routes, download PDFs etc - they are only needed for things like submitting data updates or photos. or saving planned routes so you can reload them, or reporting bugs or using the simple forum system.

Edited by StephenA

1 hour ago, VisitingFromCalifornia said:

This is the site I was on prior to the error pages screen capped. This tends to happen when I hit "confirm" after making changes of any kind (e.g., changes in preferences or setting the trip to number of days instead of 7 hour day default). I'm afraid I am not motivated to create an account for a bug report under the circumstances - I've described the issue to the best of my ability here and under the circumstances don't anticipate that having an account on the site to track the credentials of will serve any purpose for me. 

Steve and Nick put a great deal of work into maintaining canalplan as a free app for boaters. So better you log the bug in their system (not just here) so it can be investigated, prioritised and fixed appropriately.

Creating an account allows you to save your preferences so that they are there every time you use the site (logged in) and you don't need to reenter them. I long ago set my preferences to include the journey time for each leg, as well as the miles and locks, and also the cumulative figures from the start of the trip, as this makes it much easier to obtain the miles/locks/time between two intermediate points without rerunning the whole thing.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, StephenA said:

If you can send me your IP address via Private message I'll dig into the server logs and bug reports to see if I can see anything obvious. 

I'll be happy to when I'm able. Per forum rules, I apparently must have at least 10 posts before I can send a private message. I think this response will count as my 4th or 5th. Perhaps you can initiate one to which I can respond? 

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Steve and Nick put a great deal of work into maintaining canalplan as a free app for boaters. So better you log the bug in their system (not just here) so it can be investigated, prioritised and fixed appropriately.

Creating an account allows you to save your preferences so that they are there every time you use the site (logged in) and you don't need to reenter them. I long ago set my preferences to include the journey time for each leg, as well as the miles and locks, and also the cumulative figures from the start of the trip, as this makes it much easier to obtain the miles/locks/time between two intermediate points without rerunning the whole thing.

I appreciate this and have no objection to helping to the extent I'm able for the sake of others. It is noble to freely offer a tool like this, and I am glad that there are people who channel their passion into supporting others who wish to pursue it. Unfortunately, the nature of the issue is such that the site is not stable enough on my computer for me to successfully submit a report there. If this were not almost certain to be a one-off experience for me (and, at best case, an extremely rare one), I would have more motivation to consider the benefits of trying to set up an account. As it is, the benefits would be quite minor and would create the small security concern of having data in an account I know will be left dormant inside of 3 months. 

2 minutes ago, VisitingFromCalifornia said:

I'll be happy to when I'm able. Per forum rules, I apparently must have at least 10 posts before I can send a private message. I think this response will count as my 4th or 5th. Perhaps you can initiate one to which I can respond? 

I appreciate this and have no objection to helping to the extent I'm able for the sake of others. It is noble to freely offer a tool like this, and I am glad that there are people who channel their passion into supporting others who wish to pursue it. Unfortunately, the nature of the issue is such that the site is not stable enough on my computer for me to successfully submit a report there. If this were not almost certain to be a one-off experience for me (and, at best case, an extremely rare one), I would have more motivation to consider the benefits of trying to set up an account. As it is, the benefits would be quite minor and would create the small security concern of having data in an account I know will be left dormant inside of 3 months. 

I'm still trying to work out how you got an auth token for an ancient account which was for the new login / authentication process

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

I'm still trying to work out how you got an auth token for an ancient account which was for the new login / authentication process

Perhaps a useful detail: I had not yet attempted to set up an account when the screen caps were taken. I only attempted to set up the FB login after the fact to submit the bug report. I had not, at any previous point, used the site while "logged in." (Once I was logged in, I got the new auto-refresh issue.)  

**now in contact via message - so we can take this conversation off the forum**

Edited by VisitingFromCalifornia

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2024 at 09:19, David Mack said:

Worth submitting a bug report - the canalplan owners do respond and try to correct any user problems.

It may be that he could change the location on his computer, there is something called vpn or similar, used by Mentour on the YouTube flight channel.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

It may be that he could change the location on his computer, there is something called vpn or similar, used by Mentour on the YouTube flight channel.

Wasn't anything to do with location. Something very odd in browser processing causing a bit of old hidden test code to appear for some odd reason.