Fungal growth on deck board

Featured Posts

When away from the boat for a while I put on covers at the stern. Recently when returning I have found fungal growth on the board edges as per photo. Often a distinct mushroom shape. I know this is due to the warm dark air beneath the cover but am loathed to leave the cover off. Any idea how I can prevent this?

IMG_4643.jpeg

33 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

When away from the boat for a while I put on covers at the stern. Recently when returning I have found fungal growth on the board edges as per photo. Often a distinct mushroom shape. I know this is due to the warm dark air beneath the cover but am loathed to leave the cover off. Any idea how I can prevent this?

IMG_4643.jpeg

I guess it's warm and damp and it's damp that's the issue, get it dry and keep it dry and it will likely go away, you could try a proper wood treatment to kill the actual mycelium present but while the site is damp the problem will come back

Diluted Jeyes fluid seems to kill most things, but can leave a smell for a while afterwards. 

The instructions used to recommend it for sterilizing greenhouse soil, but don't anymore. I think it might be because they would have to do the tests required by EC legislation to show it was safe in order to recommend it, despite generations of gardeners having used it for that purpose with no problems. 

Rather like the Gardeners' Question Time panellist who, when asked how to get rid of greenfly, said that they used to just tell people to spray with dilute domestic detergent or washing-up liquid, but to use that method commercially under modern  H&S requirements would now involve donning complete body protective clothing, because if you get soap in your eyes it will cause irritation.  A panellist a few years later said you should wash the leaves with dilute detergent to wash away any dust, which was allowed, and if any greenfly got in the way, then that was just too bad. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos