Hunting for a Lucas Starter solenoid for a Lister Petter lpws4

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, john.k said:

I have replaced the copper disc with an old time halfpenny and filed the contacts to get a Lucas M50 working again.

A good bodge, except many 1.5 starters use a copper strip, not a disk and the plastic cover moulding would prevent a disc being fitted. I used to turn the strip over to get another good pair of faces and file the fixed contacts points.

On 16/03/2024 at 12:17, Alan de Enfield said:

That was the way I started my old 3C JCB (no ignition wiring) - but - using a screwdriver. The sparks make you jump but you get used to it.

Ah, you jump started it then? :D

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/03/2024 at 18:46, jonathanA said:

Here's a picture of my old lpsw4 starter. Sadly a knacker but if yours is like this then the solenoid is part of it. This for a standard earth return marine build 47.

20240315_184156.thumb.jpg.9b05474ceac9c19a2150f78d23fa375a.jpg

I'm sure a search using the part numbers will throw up lots of suppliers at lots of prices... 

If the starter in question is one of these, then the common (very common) fault is burned solenoid contacts. New ones are cheap. Access by removing the 3 screws on the back of the solenoid. 

• Greenie 1