Featured Posts

8 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Delphi 296 

Mann & Hummel and some others make proper pocket filters (Swiss roll) so it does not have to be a Delphi one. It is a question of checking before purchase. Even so the pleated ones seem to work, but probably not for as long or as well,  especially if water droplets are involved. I think the makers that were in the Filtre Auto stable supply the pleated ones and that includes some well known names like Purolator, Fram, Coopers etc.

That looks like a water separator/sediment trap to me rather than a fuel filter, although I don't recognise the angled part on top. Is this some sort of combined unit?

If you follow the fuel lines you might see a dedicated fuel filter. If you do have both you probably need to change both when you service the engine.

Edited by blackrose

13 minutes ago, blackrose said:

That looks like a water separator/sediment trap to me rather than a fuel filter, although I don't recognise the angled part on top. Is this some sort of combined unit?

If you follow the fuel lines you might see a dedicated fuel filter. If you do have both you probably need to change both when you service the engine.

The bit on top is a priming pump for bleeding.

Yes, it does have the sediment and water bowl on the bottom, but with a longer bolt they can be fitted to any 296 type filter head. The question is what is in the cylinder between the head and bowl. It MIGHT just be an inverted cone, but as it is on the engine as the engine filter that would need changing to a 296 type filter, they can be interchanged.

26 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

The question is what is in the cylinder between the head and bowl. 

Isn't that the filter element? It just has no branding printed on it for some reason but the 296 replacement element should fit.

On 02/03/2024 at 17:56, Chris J Magic said:

Can anyone tell me the type of filter I need please?

IMG-20240302-WA0001.jpg

To change the element first switch off your fuel isolator at the fuel tank. Then put a container underneath and drain the bowl - there should be a butterfly screw at the bottom of this unit with a flat o-ring.  Then undo the bolt at the top in the centre which should release the bowl and the element. Make a mental note of which way around the element is fitted as you remove it. Replace the element using new o-rings that come with it. You should wet the o-rings with a bit of the diesel you drained from the bowl. Put it all back together but don't overtighten it as those big o-rings are easily distorted. Don't forget the drain screw at the bottom of the bowl.

36 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Isn't that the filter element? It just has no branding printed on it for some reason but the 296 replacement element should fit.

That is what I think it is, seeing it is mounted on the engine, but even if it is a sedimentor cone I think it should be a filter element, and yes the 296 filter will fit.

Dont forget to turn the fuel back on, and bleed the new filter or the engine  will start and then stop soon after. The bleed screw is just visible at the top behind the priming pump, or loosen the outlet pipe union until it hisses and  re-tighten once diesel appears.    If the tank level is not above  the filter you may need to assist things by using the priming pump.

N