Fitting an Aga/Rayburn through the doors?!

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

We lived in shoebox in't middle of road.

Sorry but what on earth possesses anyone to want an Aga or Rayburn that can't fit through the doors of their boat without major surgery of either the heater or the boat? They just sound totally unsuitable. Life's too short, just get something that will fit through the doors!

I agree mine fitted in easily and has been a joy in winter, unlimited hot water, warm radiators and a great way of cooking, if I change boat I will miss the Rayburn greatly 

We had 4 lavatories, two kitchens, servants quarters upstairs, gardeners cottage and land. 

5 sitting rooms and 7 bedrooms. 

According to Country (sp) Life magazine it was "one of the lesser country houses of today". 

Thems were hard times I tell ye. Orchards and swimming pool, and tennis court. 

We was poor but we was honest isn't it a bloomin shame. Its the rich what gets the credit and the poor what gets the blame. 

Edited by magnetman
  • Haha 1

Thanks for all the thoughts - I have purchased a second hand rayburn one and will report back on how i get on taking it apart and fitting it back together again!!

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Doodlebug said:

Thanks for all the thoughts - I have purchased a second hand rayburn one and will report back on how i get on taking it apart and fitting it back together again!!

Enjoy, fitting one to my boat was the best thing i did

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Doodlebug said:

An update for everyone. 

It works! 

Although it’s not a job I will do again in a hurry. It was a nightmare to take apart - a fair few bolts snapped and the angle grinder was needed a fair bit to cut through old bolts and washers. 

Using a stud remover I was able to take most of them out and I have moved onto the boat and reassembled.

No issues with listing - it’s only 400kg so not a crazy amount. 

The back boiler in the one I bought was leaking - but it is integral to the Rayburn so I have cut a hole in it and inserted a much smaller back boiler which is more suited to boat use anyway. 

Overall I am very pleased (and very worn out!) 

I replaced the old insulation with rockwool and have put new fire tiles on everything. 

Thanks again  for the help. 

The backboiler whilst big was very inefficient! The boiler I fitted was a wraparound so was on 3 sides, it runs 4 radiators with ease plus heats 200 litres of water. 

24 minutes ago, peterboat said:

The backboiler whilst big was very inefficient! The boiler I fitted was a wraparound so was on 3 sides, it runs 4 radiators with ease plus heats 200 litres of water. 

True - but I didn’t want to risk having too much heat and not enough for the oven. Also it would have been 1200 pound for a new one! 

3 hours ago, Doodlebug said:

True - but I didn’t want to risk having too much heat and not enough for the oven. Also it would have been 1200 pound for a new one! 

It's not a problem the boiler doesn't cover the oven so it works ok, mine was stainless steel and just over 600 squids