Grand Union Closure Between Bridge 30 Welsh Road and Bridge 31 Longhole Bridge near Ufton

SandyD

Featured Posts

Hi,

We were thinking of going from Napton to Warwick next week, but apparently HS2 has closed the navigation Between Bridge 30 Welsh Road and Bridge 31 Longhole Bridge near Ufton (is it really closed?) until 1st of March. The CRT site says Upstream winding hole: Winding Hole Nimrod and Winding Hole 2, where are these winding holes? I can't find them on a any map!

Nimrod  refers to the wide between bridges 108 (Nimrod) and 107, East of Napton Junction (CRT Ref is

OX-043-003)

Winding hole no2 refers to the one by the ex-Bridge Inn at bridge 109 (OX-046-001).  Whatever they are, you'd be able to wind above Welsh Road anyway!

Edited by DaveP
Found the referecne on the ArcGIS map

9 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Nimrod probably refers to the wide between bridges 108 (Nimrod) and 107, East of Napton Junction. Winding hole no2 probably refers to the Napton Boats marina West of Napton Junction (or the one by the ex-Bridge Inn at bridge 109).  Whatever they are, you'd be able to wind above Welsh Road anyway!

In a 57ft Boat?

1 minute ago, SandyD said:

In a 57ft Boat?

It's got the old single lock next to the new one as a weir. I'd think it would be fine (famous last words) otherwise at the Two Boats/Cuttle moorings...

I've always looked at some of the wider parts of the canal in that area and thought I should give winding there a go just to see if it will go round but have never had the courage to try just in case another boat turns up!

1 hour ago, SandyD said:

The CRT site says Upstream winding hole: Winding Hole Nimrod and Winding Hole 2, where are these winding holes? I can't find them on a any map!

The map at the bottom of the stoppage notice on the CRT website should show the extent of the closure.

6 hours ago, IanM said:

I've always looked at some of the wider parts of the canal in that area and thought I should give winding there a go just to see if it will go round but have never had the courage to try just in case another boat turns up!

In my experience winding in a wide-looking bit of canal rarely if ever, works.

Unlike a winding 'ole which is deep right up to the banks, wide bits of canal tend to be unused and shallow at the margins so one can rarely get the bow up close to the bank opposite the towpath, and the deep stern won't go past close to the towpath either. 

I've only ever tried this on quiet canals though! 

12 hours ago, MtB said:

In my experience winding in a wide-looking bit of canal rarely if ever, works.

Unlike a winding 'ole which is deep right up to the banks, wide bits of canal tend to be unused and shallow at the margins so one can rarely get the bow up close to the bank opposite the towpath, and the deep stern won't go past close to the towpath either. 

I've only ever tried this on quiet canals though! 

We once decided to turn what the Hire Co said was a 65' boat just above the locks at Stoke Bruerne. 

We paced it out and figured it was going to be close. 

Having waited until the trip boat had just left, we planted the bow firmly in the beer garden and, whilst the present Mrs X chatted to a couple of ladies sat at the table the bow was overhanging, I set off across the canal.  Yep it was going to be very close.  I arrived at the far bank and decided that the steel fender had to go.  Fortunately, being an ex Black Prince boat it folded up nicely.  Hopping off the stern, I folded the rudder at 90 degrees and eased the stern round.  We had a couple of inches spare so once the stern was up against the lock gates the bow could come round.  It almost looked like we knew what we were doing but I did have visions of jamming and crowds of people enjoying the spectacle.  Went for a reviving pint (or two) after that escapade.🙂

• Greenie 1