A Paint System for New Wood

Featured Posts

I'd like to add a decorative feature, made entirely out of some new wooden "moulding" (bought from a quality timber merchants) which is 35mm wide and 10deep. It's above the deck level and should not be subject to any great wear and tear. Could anyone advise me on paints? I'd like a reasonably glossy finish at the end. I have lots of time to deal with it (though perhaps less cash 🙁).

Thanks

Edited by Mariner

Lol oh dear... Guess it depends on whether you are OK with a stain or varnish or need a colour finish.

For a stain I think sadolin is hard to beat, the solvent versions rather than water based. Easy to maintain a quick rub down and another coat every year or two. 

Paint is more problematic. A good quality oil based paint system is needed but the constant exposure to weather etc  is a problem. I use craftmaster paints, not cheap but worth the money IMO.  

I have received recommendations from both a boat painter and a boatbuilder that exterior timber should be primed with two part epoxy for a long life paint finish. Either use whatever epoxy paint is left over from your hull, or use something like Jotun Penguard Clear Sealer .

Not cheap, but provides a better foundation for a durable paint system than any ordinary primer.

If it was a listed house with wood windows then you would be well advised to use a Linseed Oil based paint. The wood will still breath so will last longer then something which will stop it breathing and thus cause rot.

Have a look at Ingilbys paint. It is a lot cheaper then Brouns paint

• Greenie 1