Those sunken dayboats along the Walsall Canal...

Featured Posts

Now before I go I wanted to ask about this, because it has been on my mind for some time. 

In the beginning of the 2000s we visited the Town Arm at Walsall quite a lot. Sometimes for boaters rallies but also for the Gallery.

I have a clearish memory of joining a quizz in the Boatman's Mission where one of the questions was 'can you name the sunken boats' which as I recall it lined the non-towpath side of the canal there or thereabouts. They were completely sunk - just the gun'n'ls above the water. In my younger days this was a common site but not by 1999/2000. Most had been cleared away. These were not abandoned or derelict pleaseurecraft. They were redundant working boats.

So have I got this right? If so can anyone name these boats?

I can't remember when, but there were (and I think still are, though only visible in winter when there is less vegetation) several sunken day boats on the offside in the stretch between Birchills Junction and Pratts Bridge - the location IIRC of Ken Keay's yard. No idea which ones.

springy

Thank you. That does sound about the right place. 

If I am correct in my recollection, and I may be, somebody thought it sufficiently important to include the naming of these boats as a quizz question. Not much point, I would have thought, if nobody knew the answer. A pity if it has been lost.

1 hour ago, springy said:

I can't remember when, but there were (and I think still are, though only visible in winter when there is less vegetation) several sunken day boats on the offside in the stretch between Birchills Junction and Pratts Bridge - the location IIRC of Ken Keay's yard. No idea which ones.

springy

I have a feeling there are several craft around the Pratt's bridge area which weren't day boat, off the top of my head there's a Knobstick motor, Silver Jubilee maybe? and also the tug Dart. I also believe there are the remains of an Anderton horse boat, Somewhere on here the late Laurence Hogg detailed them, i'll see if i can find the post.

Found it.....

Kind regards

Dan

Edited by stagedamager
found it.......
  • Greenie 2