Dia of the tiller arm base. Help with a lock idea

TheBeesKnees

Featured Posts

Hello all

I'm just wondering what’s the avg dia of the base of the tiller arm. 

also what would happy if someone was to try drag your boat if the tiller arm was locked left or right. 

im asking as  I’m going to try make a lock with hardened steel around the base of the tiller arm to lock it in position. 

also any in point we will great if you think this wouldn’t make it harder to drag or anything. I know they wouldn’t cut the lock off been hardened steel if you have every tried to cut it or drill it with a standard drill you will know. 

7 minutes ago, TheBeesKnees said:

Hello all

I'm just wondering what’s the avg dia of the base of the tiller arm. 

also what would happy if someone was to try drag your boat if the tiller arm was locked left or right. 

im asking as  I’m going to try make a lock with hardened steel around the base of the tiller arm to lock it in position. 

also any in point we will great if you think this wouldn’t make it harder to drag or anything. I know they wouldn’t cut the lock off been hardened steel if you have every tried to cut it or drill it with a standard drill you will know. 

Ever heard of a cord free angle grinder with cutting disk? I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to stop a determined thief, especially as they are unlikely to drag it far. much more likely tow it alongside with another boat and although locking the tiller will make it more difficult, the prop wash over the tiller of the tow boat is likely to provide enough "turning force" to overcome the locked tiller.

The base of the tiller varies tremendously between makers and boats, so I fear each would need to be made to size.

Edited by Tony Brooks

7 minutes ago, TheBeesKnees said:

Hello all

also any in point we will great if you think this wouldn’t make it harder to drag or anything. 

I think if you are serious about this idea the best thing would be to measure the diameter. They do vary. 

If a Boat was taken by someone else with a Boat they could put it alongside and the rudder position would not make a great deal of difference. 

If they were hauling it by hand you could walk along the towpath and find them. 

GPS trackers are available for dog collars. 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I think if you are serious about this idea the best thing would be to measure the diameter. They do vary. 

If a Boat was taken by someone else with a Boat they could put it alongside and the rudder position would not make a great deal of difference. 

Perhaps he needs the  diameter for the GPS dog collar 

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ever heard of a cord free angle grinder with cutting disk? I am not sure if it would be worth the effort to stop a determined thief, especially as they are unlikely to drag it far. much more likely tow it alongside with another boat and although locking the tiller will make it more difficult, the prop wash over the tiller of the tow boat is likely to provide enough "turning force" to overcome the locked tiller.

The base of the tiller varies tremendously between makers and boats, so I fear each would need to be made to size.

Didn't think about a grinder, but the way I was gonna get it done was to make it all closed so no screws or bolts would be sticking out. I would CNC it at work; never tried to grind 65+ HRC, apart from on surface grinders. Not sure how a cordless grinder would cope with a few inches of steel.

But I see some points; it's not gonna make much difference if you tow it. And if that's the case, no point drawing it on CAD.

But cheers for your input

21 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Cheers for the feedback was an idea had while at work. Wasn’t sure how much difference it would make while towing or pulling from the towpath 

Edited by TheBeesKnees

For maximum effect you'd want to lock the tiller at about 45° rather than 90°.

At 45° water will deflect off it and produce sideways force; at 90° it's completely stalled and will only create some slightly offset drag.

I don't think either would prevent someone towing the boat alongside, but 45° could make it impossible to tow behind on cross straps whereas 90° probably wouldn't.