Dipstick for Lister JS2 engine

Adrian2023

Featured Posts

Hi, may sound ridiculous but I can’t for the life of me find the oil dipstick for a Lister LS2 engine. I’ve been all around it and checked to see if there is a hole and the dipstick is missing but, alas, the only dipstick I can find is myself. 

can anyone help please? 

many thanks 

Adrian 

12 minutes ago, Adrian2023 said:

Hi, may sound ridiculous but I can’t for the life of me find the oil dipstick for a Lister LS2 engine. I’ve been all around it and checked to see if there is a hole and the dipstick is missing but, alas, the only dipstick I can find is myself. 

can anyone help please? 

many thanks 

Adrian 

Which is it, a JS2, an LS2 or perhaps an SL2?

Is this a dry sump engine?

Only one I can find is this

image.png.dcdc6dc6bb91a036a5272ee6519dc5f0.png.bbddb3860408cf9645edcf3637a9ca7a.png

I don't know but I'm thinking that JP engines are sometimes dry sump.

engine has no dipstick

Certainly a very handsome engine. 

Edited by magnetman

This may sound completely stupid, and I must point out that I sit at a desk all day and know absolutely nothing about engines, but, if it has no dipstick, how do you know you have the correct amount of oil ? 

clearly there will be an extremely obvious answer. 

many thanks 

The standard original marine oil tank is a large rectangular brass and copper item.

This has the dipstick.  And the oil filler.

It may help to post some photos of the engine and its surroundings.

N

Edited by BEngo

The thread I linked above is worth reading as it gives general information on how a dry sump engine such as this should be managed. 

The poster Timleech is RIP but was a very knowledgeable gentleman whose comments are always worth reading. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Adrian2023 said:

This may sound completely stupid, and I must point out that I sit at a desk all day and know absolutely nothing about engines, but, if it has no dipstick, how do you know you have the correct amount of oil ? 

clearly there will be an extremely obvious answer. 

many thanks 

The oil pump in a drey sump engine is typically two oil pumps on one shaft. A lower volume one that is basically the engine oil circulating pump that works just like the ones on cars and trucks (ignoring the different internal pump designs)  and a higher volume one, known as the scavenge pump, that sucks oil out of the base of the engine and deposits in a separate oil tank as described above. The engine pump then takes the oil it needs from the tank, so you only need to worry about the level in the tank. The reason the scavenge pump is of a higher volume is to ensure no surplus oil can build up in the base of the engine. There is not really a sump as such, just a shallow oil pan or even just a plate.

The oil tanks are usually of higher capacity than a typical sump and allows more cooling because they are remote from the engine. In other applications, it allows the lubrication system to keep operating under high G forces that might force all the oil in a sump away from oil pick up and the engine to operate at very odd angles.

1 minute ago, Adrian2023 said:

Ok so here are the pictures of the engine, definitely can’t see another oil reservoir or indeed a dipstick. 

any help appreciated 

Regrettably no pictures. if you took the with a modern mobile phone or digital camera, they may well be too large for the forum. I think you can copy and paste the thumbnails, but I just crush the image with a computer image manipulation program. Maybe phones have such apps. You also need to ensure the file format is one that the forum can deal with.

I finally managed to find the dipstick. 

Thank you to everyone who replied to me but I finally managed to find the dipstick, or rather a friend of mine did. FYI, it was right at the very bottom and can only be reached by lying down on your stomach and reaching down. Not ideal but at least I now know where it is. 

cheers once again