BMC 1500 Pump instlation

Marc1900

Featured Posts

After having a leaking fuel pump for a couple fo years it was finally time for a re-ferb. Having removed the pump and had it reconditioned at a reputable local pump center along with new injectors. I've installed the new pump, fuel filter, blead system, good flow from lift pump and both bleed values. Engine will start every time but die after a couple of seconds, I can repeat this process as long as I like and at any throttle but it will always cut out straight away almost like the solinoid was cutting out (if it had one). 

Is there something im missing? Before I go to the pump supplier. (I really dont want to remove the pump again) 

Im also reluctant to start tampering with the pump to much like breaking workshop tamper seals, will invalid any warranty.

Hopefully its something stupid and simple I've missed.

Thanks 

Marc 

4 minutes ago, Marc1900 said:

After having a leaking fuel pump for a couple fo years it was finally time for a re-ferb. Having removed the pump and had it reconditioned at a reputable local pump center along with new injectors. I've installed the new pump, fuel filter, blead system, good flow from lift pump and both bleed values. Engine will start every time but die after a couple of seconds, I can repeat this process as long as I like and at any throttle but it will always cut out straight away almost like the solinoid was cutting out (if it had one). 

Is there something im missing? Before I go to the pump supplier. (I really dont want to remove the pump again) 

Im also reluctant to start tampering with the pump to much like breaking workshop tamper seals, will invalid any warranty.

Hopefully its something stupid and simple I've missed.

Thanks 

Marc 

Sounds like there's still some air trapped in the pump. Try slacking off the feed pipes to the injectors and giving the engine a good whirling over on the starter. If you have someone to help, get them on the starter turning the engine over, when a good spirt of fuel comes out of a fuel pipe, tighten it, same for the other three, the engine then may fire and start on one cylinder and the other three chime in one after the other until it runs properly. It can be a bit of a devil to remove air from those pumps.

I had a BMC 1500 on a previous boat and  went through the same process you appear to be facing. It was air in the system for me.
I bled the system, made sure I had fuel at all four cylinders etc, engine ran but died soon after. I just had to keep going with the bleed, apparently they are a bit of a mare!
I'm assuming after you operate the lift pump and get fuel from the bleeds you're tightening the bleeds before releasing the pump? You need to be sure it isn't sucking air back in before you tighten up.
I hope you get it sorted.

3 hours ago, Marc1900 said:

I've installed the new pump, fuel filter,

Are you 110% sure all the seals on the filter are in their correct place and of the correct size? Make sure whatever seals the centre bolt head is correct. If the top of the centre hole has a taper to it, then, it uses a tiny O ring, and it has been known for pattern filter suppliers to pack the wrong small O ring. If there is no taper then the bolt head is sealed with a soft washer, I would try for a Dowty washer or failing that a new soft copper one.

Also, check the larger banjo bolt that is usually on the top of the filter. It should be hollow with a small hole in the side to allow any air trying to build up in the filter head to leak back to the tank. If this is blocked or missing, then it could cause this problem.

Don't crush the olives on the fuel pipes by excess spanner force, or it will likely leak air.