Image Tagged Goring 1885

mark99

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bacchus said:

the photo claims to be taken in 1885, that boat will have moved at least fifty yards towards the lock by now...

I was quite intrigued with a lot about that photo. 1885 is awfully early to be getting top notch photos like that. Superb contrast and exposure. Will have been on a glass plate, probably square so someone has cropped it quite artistically too. Also the exposure back then will have been many seconds so how he got those cows to stand so still is a mystery to me. 

The church is St Thomas of Canterbury and the tower contains a fine ring of eight bells tuned to a major scale of A, founded by Mears and Stainbank in 1929 and hung in a wrought iron bell frame constructed in approx 1914 by Webb and Bennett. There is no record of any bells in the tower before that but there almost certainly will have been a ring of six or eight in an oak frame. 

There are 178 peals recorded as being successfully rung in the tower. A peal is 5,040 changes rung without mistakes, which typically takes a little over three hours.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

The boat is somewhat similar to that depicted in Aubertin's Caravan Afloat, but 1885 is a bit early for that 

I too thought it looks remarkably "20th Century"!

I am now wondering if the date might more accurately be 1985...

Here’s a good quality photo of the Lock Keeper’s Cottage at Goring dated 1885,

The original is likely to be much sharper than this digital version,

I ain’t no expert but by 1885 photography had come some way since using daguerreotypes,

that Edward Muybridge bloke was doing his stuff capturing moving animals and people in a series of ultra fast exposures,

and Kodak were selling there instants before the end of the century,

anyhow, by the 1880’s those long exposures were a thing of the past,

3539DB9D-795E-4E04-B92D-FBFF06D2203B.thumb.jpeg.146689ffa1394e068ac4c6ff6719d188.jpeg

Having said that, the first photo does look very modern, 20th century 

Edited by beerbeerbeerbeerbeer

Curious to note how many more trees there are on that site now. Such a photo would not be possible.

An illustration of how rather silly our obsession with tree preservation is these days. If you stop people cutting them down, they proliferate. Even if slowly.