Mains power meter

rusty69

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a 240V mains power consumption meter to fit inside the boat. I want it initially to check the meter maid that I have.

There are many on the market. What certification/calibration/MID/EN number/BS number should I be looking at?

There is one here, for instance, that looks like it might be up to the job. Has anyone got any real world experience of these things, and could recommend an accurate one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electricity-Monitor-Digital-Display-Certified/dp/B08XJS1SBC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks

Edited by rusty69

Not a direct reply to your question but a reflection on shore meters.

Some years ago our meter maid appeared to be giving wrong readings. It was on a shared post  and  shared pontoon. The other boat was a liveaboard of one of the marina staff and we discovered that guess who was switching over supply cables.

• Horror 2

It looks to me that a meter for sub billing needs to meet MID B+D or B+F approval, and have a CE mark (presumably not a dodgy chinese one), a metrology marking and an identification number.

What is the MID certification and when is it required?

The MID certification is based on the European EN 50470 regulation on metering equipment, which requires meters to comply with a series of characteristics, including class B accuracy for measuring energy consumption. In other words, it ensures that meters with this MID certification will correctly measure an installation's actual consumption. To give you some idea, class B allows a maximum error of 1% when measuring active energy

Edited by rusty69

4 minutes ago, GUMPY said:

You didn't mention rebilling before, I thought it was just to check against the meter maid!

Apologies.

Though I did mention initially. If the new meter proves to be accurate and acceptible for re billing then I will use it in place of the meter maid.

if you want a 'domestic' type meter and i know your reasonably handy with the bag of spanners just buy a secondhand/new domestic meter. Any number of din rail mounted meters, or 'house' type 60/80/100A meters available on thiefbay or places like TLC electrical for not much money....  

• Happy 1