Coventry diesel

Prof P

Featured Posts

Hey all, 

New here so please be patient with me. 

Looking to identify an engine fitted in a friends narrow boat. I've never seen this type of engine before and Internet searches with the available info are yielding very little. 

It is a 2 cylinder diesel engine with "coventry diesel" written on top. There is no other data or data plate to get any info from. I googled it and all I get is info coventry climax and coventry Victor with I don't think is what I'm looking at in the boat. Any help is much appreciated. I had other pictures but the files are too big to upload. 

IMG_20231014_152744.jpg

IMG_20230917_154641.jpg

Hmmm might we have a photo of the whole engine from much further back, showing the complete installation including the gearbox please? 

Gives us all a much better chance of recognising what you have here.

Welcome to the forum by the way! 

From collaging two photos together you can see the top of the main engine block/cylinder head and parsons gearbox arrangement. 

I hope this helps. I've looked at it maybe being a Victor but none of the images I get from that search fit what I'm seeing. No luck searching Godiva either and there is no godiva symbol on the cylinder head as inve seen in other images. 

Thank you all for trying to help me out. 

IMG_20230917_154635.jpg

IMG_20230917_154628.jpg

Also have a look at the Internal Fire website.  They have a lot of manuals and parts  lists.  You will have to register, but that is only to deter the photocopy on ebay Brigade.

Coventry Diesel is an entirely different engine manufacturer to Coventry Victor and Coventry Climax.

N

39 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Coventry Diesel is an entirely different engine manufacturer to Coventry Victor and Coventry Climax.

N

Thats interesting. The forklift people's coventry climax truck has the same engine model as the OP

4 hours ago, magnetman said:

Thats interesting. The forklift people's coventry climax truck has the same engine model as the OP

That is why I carefully said "entirely different engine manufacturer".  Coventry Climax made petrol engines, of a variety that were not suited to fork-lift trucks, which they also made.  100 odd bhp at 11000 rpm anyone?  

So, when looking for a diesel lift truck motor it was not surprising they went up the road as they were in  the home of the UK motor cycle and car industry.

Coventry Victor also made mainly motor cycles and  small  petrol engines, though they designed  the Cub, a horizontally opposed two cylinder diesel (22 hp) in the thirties. The engine appears  to have been partly air cooled and part water cooled. This engine was made in Coventry under several  company names but eventually was  made in Scotland by a separate company. This engine was apparently designed for marine use, but apparently made if into some tractors and was sold down under, so may be an ancestor of the OP's Coventry Diesel,  or not. The OP does not seem to have a HO engine so it is not the original Coventry Victor designed Cub.

There was another range of vertical one and two cylinder diesels post war.

N

• Greenie 1

Coventry Climax also made small 4 cyl side valve petrol motors that were used in forklifts..........I scrapped one when I cleared the yard last year...........called a Freighter -Lawton ....intersting forklift with chain drive to the solid tyre wheels .