Cleaning "dirty" AC

smiler

Featured Posts

Hi guys

I have a Hyundai 2kw suitcase type generator and an Ecoflow 1kw Delta 2 powerstation.

The powerstation charges fine from domestic mains power but won't charge from the generator.

I'm guessing the "pure sinewave" isn't quite pure enough for the powerstation?

I don't really want to change the generator as it's not very old, it's reliable and fairly quiet.

Does anyone know of a "plug in" device that can handle up to 1kw and would clean up the electrickery gremlins from the generator?

Edited by smiler

I'm not sure it's about the purity of the waveform. Inverter generators are usually very reliable in producing sine waves, so I'd suspect something else happening here. Perhaps the current inrush triggers the generator protection circuit. Are both the Ecoflow and generator earthed?

Does the Ecoflow begin to charge and then flip out, or is there simply nothing shown on the display about charging?

What about the generator - any warning light comes on indicating overload?

Have you contacted Ecoflow about the problem? They'd be my first stop.

Edited by Puffling

Thanks for the reply.

They are not earthed - maybe worth a try.

The Ecoflow does try to charge, then flips out as you say - then it tries again repeatedly.

There are no warning lights on either.

I tried the generator both on low revs and high.

I've also tried altering the charge rate - from 200w to 1200w on the Ecoflow with the same results.

I also have a smart charger for the lead/acid battery bank which works fine from the generator.

I've sent emails to Hyundai and Ecoflow - no replies yet.

One trick with recalcitrant washing machines that do not work from an inverter or generator is to run a resistive load at the same time. Something like a 100W old style filament light bulb (not a lower power or LED) or small heater. Somehow this can steady the waveform and allow the washing machine to start. It appears that having two sets of complicated electronics both trying to do things as the only items connected by a short cable does not work.

UPDATE

No reply from Hyundai.

Reply from Ecoflow - try another generator.

It is a grey day today so ran the generator for a few hours.

Charged the lead acids,ran the fridge and tried to charge the Ecoflow - no joy.

Plugged a 500w greenhouse heater in the generator and..............SUCCESS!!!!!!!

Thanks PeterF 🤪

How did we cope before the internet existed?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, Slim said:

I don't know the answer but would running it through an isolation transformer work?

Fully expect to be told NO but maybe with an explanation.(still a schoolboy at heart

The generator might object to an inductive load on connection. Equally, it might not!

5 hours ago, Slim said:

I don't know the answer but would running it through an isolation transformer work?

Fully expect to be told NO but maybe with an explanation.(still a schoolboy at heart)

May be, may be not. The resistive load adds some damping / buffering into the system to stop the generators inverter and the Ecoflow charger from interacting so much. An isolation transformer may do this but you would need to test it. Certainly adding a resistive load is a well tried method that does work in some of these cases.