No fuel when starting 2LW

Felshampo

Featured Posts

An 8mm AF spanner is a tight fit on a 2BA nut, but just about does the job.

I lost my 2BA combination spanner the other day and to my surprise, was unable to find another for sale on the net, anywhere! Are BA nuts and bolts really that obsolete?

22 minutes ago, MtB said:

I lost my 2BA combination spanner the other day and to my surprise, was unable to find another for sale on the net, anywhere! Are BA nuts and bolts really that obsolete?

BA spanners are available, Zoro, RS, Amazon and of course eBay have them. RDG tools have some open ended spanner sets which look ok and they have BA socket sets . Quality spanners from named suppliers are becoming quite expensive (ELORA etc).  I am not sure you will find combination spanners. Nuts and bolts are available from model engineering suppliers but again the low demand causes prices to be much higher than equivalent size metric fasteners. Taps and dies are available from model engineering suppliers.

1 minute ago, jonesthenuke said:

BA spanners are available, Zoro, RS, Amazon and of course eBay have them.

You obviously didn't check before typing that ;)

Can't find one on RS either. Never heard of Zoro until now and they have an open-ended but no combination, so that will do. Thanks for that!

38 minutes ago, MtB said:

Can't find one on RS either. Never heard of Zoro until now and they have an open-ended but no combination, so that will do. Thanks for that!

So what's this-  F'ing scotch mist? Perhaps you should engage brain before letting clutch out on keyboard! Just search BA spanner in RS

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=BA+spanner

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MtB said:

2 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

So what's this-  F'ing scotch mist? Perhaps you should engage brain before letting clutch out on keyboard! Just search BA spanner in RS

Now then children please play nicely. 

It seems this thread about my 2LW has been taken over by a load of spanners. 

Edited by Felshampo
  • Greenie 2

3 hours ago, jonesthenuke said:

Oops, typo in the post of mine you replied to. My apologies. I was searching for a 2BA combination spanner specifically. As you'd know if you'd read the thread derail properly! 

None here, see?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=2BA+spanner

1 hour ago, Felshampo said:

Now then children please play nicely. 

It seems this thread about my 2LW has been taken over by a load of spanners. 

Well, the thread had rather died a death before Nukey and I kicked orf! 

But my apologies all the same. 

0-2-4-6 BA Combination Spanners are shown here 

https://www.drapertools.com/hand-tools/spanners/ba-spanners/

On 04/03/2024 at 14:30, Felshampo said:

The bolts holding the diaphragm on are 2BA which is 4mm.

Relying on the spanner size to identify a bolt size can be misleading, 10years ago Tim Leech was trying to ascertain the correct fixing for the two parts of the pump body

As I had a spare pump and the means to check the bolt, it turned out  to be a 1BA bolt with a 2BA size Head

It is not uncommon to find non standard combinations of shank and head size

OD is 0.207" pitch measured with thread gauges is 28 tpi

1BA is 0.2087" OD and 28.2 tpi

As the pumps were British made I would have expected it to be to a British Standard of its Time

Having said that the head size is 0.321" AF which corresponds to 2BA.

So using 2BA bolts wouldn't look out of place, neither would M5 as the head is pretty much the same size, (0.315")

There are other anomalies with the pump top itself the inlet fuel union bolt is M18, if the holes are drilled for the fuel stock locking plates they are M8 the nuts on the stud are  5/16 Whit and if I remember correctly the rack bushes are M20, The Injector pipe nuts at the pump end are M14 despite the fact that they have a 3/8" Whit Spanner Hexagon