Gas water heaters

Keith Della Gana

Featured Posts

Broadly: no, there are no rules that prevent you from fitting a gas water heater to a boat currently without one.

But is the boat your primary residence, or is it just used for occasional leisure purposes?  This may affect who is allowed to do the fitting, but doesn't affect whether it can be fitted - it always can.

59 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Broadly: no, there are no rules that prevent you from fitting a gas water heater to a boat currently without one.

There may be no rules preventing, but if the boat concerned is young enough to be RCD or RCR certified, fitting one will breach the RCD/RCR compliance. Some people will care deeply about this, others won't give a toss. 

To elaborate, its only open flue gas water heaters are banned by the RCD/RCR. If you are thinking of a room-sealed one, its fine. 

But I don't think there are any room sealed that can be easily fitted in boats.

31 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Do we know of any room-sealed water heaters where the manufacturer says they are suitable for use in boats, regardless of anything else?

N

I've seen one or two designed for houses fitted into boats, but I've never seen a manual stating suitable for boats. The flue is always the bodge. They are designed to be mounted in walls 9" to about 18" thick. 

To be fair I don't think Electrolux /Dometic "non room sealed" fridge installation instructions have ever said they are suitable to be used in boats either.

This has never stopped people installing them in their thousands.

You are of course correct though - it would be helpful if OP states the age of their boat.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

To be fair I don't think Electrolux /Dometic "non room sealed" fridge installation instructions have ever said they are suitable to be used in boats either.

In fact, just the opposite (unless you buy their 'boat approved' fridge).

Screenshot (2184).png

Electrolux 3-Way Boat Use.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 hours ago, Keith Della Gana said:

Are there any rules preventing me from fitting a gas water heater to my narrow boat that I am refurbishing. It currently has a calorifier heated by the engine. Thanks

I hope you're not considering installing an instant gas water heater instead of your calorifier? You probably know this already but fit the gas water heater in addition to what you've already got and just fit an L-port valve between the two with hot water supply from each going to each side of the valve and a single outlet to your main hot water outlet pipe.

https://www.asap-supplies.com/fittings-valves-strainers/valves-spares/l-port-ball-valves

Cheaper suppliers are available...