New water heater suggestions please.

truckcab79

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

One of my boats is a sea going craft and it has a Paloma without a flue

The Paloma when first launched was routinely sold without a flue. It was a flueless appliance. The flue hood and draught diverter came later. I made my own flue hood for my first Paloma in 1977 as I didn't like the idea of it being flueless. 

Later, they added it as an optional accessory. 

The British Standard for water heaters even now allows appliances up to (I think) 9kW to be flueless.

On 31/08/2023 at 09:15, truckcab79 said:

When I’ve searched the question the answer is always Morco but they seem excess to my needs and over-budget.  £200-£350 would be fine.  

I guess the over- budget Morcos are room sealed units? Don't they make the non-room sealed heaters any more? 

I bought a non-room sealed Morco D-61 a few years ago to replace an old Valliant that had stopped working and I'm sure it wasn't more than about 200 quid. I know they've discontinued that model but I didn't realise they'd all gone.

Edited by blackrose

38 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I guess the over- budget Morcos are room sealed units? Don't they make the non-room sealed heaters any more? 

I bought a non-room sealed Morco D-61 a few years ago to replace an old Valliant that had stopped working and I'm sure it wasn't more than about 200 quid. I know they've discontinued that model but I didn't realise they'd all gone.

On their site they only show two models and they’re £650 or so.  

Maybe I’m missing something.  

Chatting to the helpful folk at Cointra they reckon that most narrowboats use the 6 lpm version of their water heater.  In my head it makes sense to go for one that doesn’t use too much water so that’s probably the right answer. But is there any logic to going for the 11lpm version and having it ‘under-stressed’ or does it just flow and therefore waste more water than you need?

Not  looked at sizes. I’m assuming the 11 is bigger.  Price-wise there’s only about £40 in it.   

18 minutes ago, truckcab79 said:

Chatting to the helpful folk at Cointra they reckon that most narrowboats use the 6 lpm version of their water heater.  In my head it makes sense to go for one that doesn’t use too much water so that’s probably the right answer. But is there any logic to going for the 11lpm version and having it ‘under-stressed’ or does it just flow and therefore waste more water than you need?

Not  looked at sizes. I’m assuming the 11 is bigger.  Price-wise there’s only about £40 in it.   

You'll get a really good performance shower with the 11 litre/min, BUT ... you'll run your tank dry in far more often. 

Which gets bloody annoying when you're half way through a shower. 

P.S. I find the Morco D61 perfectly adequate, but then my expectations are quite modest. Its a boat, after all. 

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

You'll get a really good performance shower with the 11 litre/min, BUT ... you'll run your tank dry in far more often. 

Which gets bloody annoying when you're half way through a shower. 

P.S. I find the Morco D61 perfectly adequate, but then my expectations are quite modest. Its a boat, after all. 

Cheers. That’s pretty much what I rather simplistically assumed.  6lpm I’m sure will be fine.  

If you use an instantaneous water heater a lot you can expect to go through gas bottles quite rapidly. 

I suppose almost a decade of life living on a boat with woman and 2 children and a bath running off a Morco D61 could be why I take this view. 

Electric or engine calorifier can be good but on-demand is better overall but CH Rist on a Bike it gets through the gas !! 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

If you use an instantaneous water heater a lot you can expect to go through gas bottles quite rapidly. 

Disagree.

When I lived aboard I showered daily wih my D61. It also supplied my washing up and all other hot water requirements. A 6kg bottle would last approx 3 weeks. 

Mind you this was 4 minute bloke showers, not half hour woman showers.

Probably less than 4 minutes on reflection....

• Greenie 1