Washing machine pump/fill problem

Featured Posts

Wondering if anyone has any ideas - I have a Beko washing machine plumbed into the cold supply, has been working perfectly for six months and then a few weeks ago a weird fill issue started:

When I turn it on, the washing machine starts drawing water, the expansion tank level drops and the pump kicks in, however, what seems to happen is the pump only runs until the tank is full again then cuts off. The washing machine continues to pull water but at a trickle until the tank is empty again, pump kicks in, fills tank, cuts off. 

Previously I would just turn it on and it would fill without issue. 

Taps and shower are all fine. 

Filling the washing machine drawer with a bottle of water also works but means having to stand next to the machine and wait to hear for it trying to draw water, which is a faff. 

Any ideas? I’ve tried repressuring the expansion tank to no avail and given the taps all work, feels like a washing machine issue.  

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, ASupertramp said:

Wondering if anyone has any ideas - I have a Beko washing machine plumbed into the cold supply, has been working perfectly for six months and then a few weeks ago a weird fill issue started:

When I turn it on, the washing machine starts drawing water, the expansion tank level drops and the pump kicks in, however, what seems to happen is the pump only runs until the tank is full again then cuts off. The washing machine continues to pull water but at a trickle until the tank is empty again, pump kicks in, fills tank, cuts off. 

Previously I would just turn it on and it would fill without issue. 

Taps and shower are all fine. 

Filling the washing machine drawer with a bottle of water also works but means having to stand next to the machine and wait to hear for it trying to draw water, which is a faff. 

Any ideas? I’ve tried repressuring the expansion tank to no avail and given the taps all work, feels like a washing machine issue.  

Thanks!

Is there a small filter on the washing machine input? Could be blocked with limescale.

• Greenie 1

The washing machine filter is usually located in the cold inlet. You can see ii if you take off the hose and they normally just pull out, though you may need some snipe nose pliers to get hold of it.

N

22 minutes ago, BEngo said:

The washing machine filter is usually located in the cold inlet. You can see ii if you take off the hose and they normally just pull out, though you may need some snipe nose pliers to get hold of it.

N

Sometimes the filter sticks to the pipe you are removing (they look like a rubber washer with a gauze insert) which confuses you [or at least me]

If you have this style, the filter is also the washer that seals the hose to the valve - don't be tempted to quickly try it without the filter - DAMHIK!