Northwich

Chris T

Featured Posts

As of 5 or so weeks back the Kings Lock pub was still open and serving good beer, the chippy opposite is good too. On a decent day/evening you can eat your chips and enjoy a pint or two whilst watching people using the locks. A very enjoyable way to pass an hour or two :)

Kings Lock don't do food only bar snacks and not every day.

Mooring above Kings Lock is safe enough, but noisy from the traffic as the road is right by the canal. I prefer to moor just above Wardle lock on the Middlewich Branch, but no good if you are going down the T&M.

The Big Lock pub is only ok food is, or was, passable. No beer on as such so drank Guiness which was only ok. Personally I'd give it a miss.

The White Bear does decent food, and good beer and has a nice beer garden too if the weather is fine ( a bit of a big if but ... )

The chandlery is ok, not too expensive, never got diesel there though, usually use either Venetian or the fuel boat. 

I like Middlewich so will miss it as we won't be back for a good while.

Venetian Marina 95p/litre
Kings Lock 93p/litre

Aqueduct Marina 98p/litre

Swanley Bridge Marina 103p/litre (cheapest currently on Llangollen)
Fuel Boat Halsall 106p/litre

Nantwich Canal Centre 108p/litre

Obviously there's cheaper suppliers, further away, if you're heading in a different direction to the above places.

On 03/08/2023 at 16:18, Goliath said:

Good luck,

give us an update on the pub 👍

The road might be a bit noisy, can’t remember. 

and are there still lots and lots of swans there?

Cheers from the White Bear beer garden! The sun is out, I have a nice Red Willow wheat beer and hubby has a Dunham Dark mild. Very nice 🍻

We decided to moor above Big Lock as a few people told us the road above Kings Lock was really noisy with lorries all night, so we'll have to make the time up tomorrow. Along with the extra day as Bosley Locks are now opening Wednesday instead of Thursday as we've planned for. 

• Greenie 3

36 minutes ago, Chris T said:

Cheers from the White Bear beer garden! The sun is out, I have a nice Red Willow wheat beer and hubby has a Dunham Dark mild. Very nice 🍻

We decided to moor above Big Lock as a few people told us the road above Kings Lock was really noisy with lorries all night, so we'll have to make the time up tomorrow. Along with the extra day as Bosley Locks are now opening Wednesday instead of Thursday as we've planned for. 

Good to hear. The Indian takeaway next to Tesco Express is top notch too.