Fund Britain's Waterways. Birmingham Campaign Cruise. 12th - 13th August

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No, but you did specifically suggest that the increasing number of new members were CMers - NABO don't support CMers.

I have never said NABO support Continuous Moorer or suggested it.  I say I imagine a lot of these boating organisations IWA, NABO, NTBA will be getting new members who are CMoorers on Boats without a home Mooring, as they will be thinking and hoping these boating organisations will have some say on the Licence increase, obviously these organisations have had no say or had any influence on CaRTs decision to increase licences now or in the next 5 years.

Edited by BoatinglifeupNorth

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

From an FBW steering group member: The funds, although overseen by the FBW steering group, are held and managed by the IWA, which is a registered charity.

The FBW Donations page asked for Gift Aid but there is no mention of IWA.  Perhaps if you go ahead, which I didn't, there is a clarification.  Obviously any Gift Aid would be claimed and received by IWA in the first instance.

12 minutes ago, Lady M said:

The FBW Donations page asked for Gift Aid but there is no mention of IWA.  Perhaps if you go ahead, which I didn't, there is a clarification.  Obviously any Gift Aid would be claimed and received by IWA in the first instance.

Maybe the 'gift aid' will be claimed by the IWA as their commission for handling the donations.

18 minutes ago, Lady M said:

The whole funding donations page seams a bit vague as has been mentioned on previous posts and now it looks like the IWA are skimming a bit off the top with the Gift Aid donations, maybe to wipe out their £450k account deficit they had last year. Reading that article and looking at the photos, the IWA look like they haven’t got much of a future and the older members are maybe thinking Poirot has the answers, maybe he can investigate the reason for the deficit in finances🕵️

25 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

I have never said NABO support Continuous Moorer or suggested it.  I say I imagine a lot of these boating organisations IWA, NABO, NTBA will be getting new members who are CMoorers on Boats without a home Mooring, as they will be thinking and hoping these boating organisations will have some say on the Licence increase, obviously these organisations have had no say or had any influence on CaRTs decision to increase licences now or in the next 5 years.

You seem to be missing the point - you keep saying that they will be getting new members from the "never move anywhere" brigade, why select those specifically ?

The licence fee increases affect NB owners & WB owners with a home mooring, and NB & WB boaters who are declared CCers (whether they move or not).

So why should the membership not come from across the boating spectrum ?

55 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You seem to be missing the point - you keep saying that they will be getting new members from the "never move anywhere" brigade, why select those specifically ?

The licence fee increases affect NB owners & WB owners with a home mooring, and NB & WB boaters who are declared CCers (whether they move or not).

So why should the membership not come from across the boating spectrum ?

Where’s the biggest problem of Continuous Moorers? London? looking on Facebook both NABO and NTBA seam to be more concerned with London Boaters then other areas. Maybe they see a bigger catchment area for potential new members and those of a continuous mooring habit?

5D774DF2-90CE-4754-B810-0329432F09DA.jpeg.3072a686e203a48033cc002c3f0a1676.jpeg

18 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

Where’s the biggest problem of Continuous Moorers? London? looking on Facebook both NABO and NTBA seam to be more concerned with London Boaters then other areas. Maybe they see a bigger catchment area for potential new members and those of a continuous mooring habit?

This took some finding from over 7 years ago. You obviously have an agenda with NABO and I would be very pleased to have your suggestions and ideas about how boaters can be supported with the challenges we all face in October 2023

26 minutes ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

That seems to be a reasonable piece of fact-finding, regardless of where you sit on the how-far-should-Ccers-move spectrum. It could maybe show that CRT are being unduly harsh on those who do move their boats some distance, or it could equally show that 6 month licences have only been imposed on those who almost never move more than a few hundred yards.

Edited by David Mack

45 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

This took some finding from over 7 years ago. You obviously have an agenda with NABO and I would be very pleased to have your suggestions and ideas about how boaters can be supported with the challenges we all face in October 2023

I have no agenda with NABO, that popped up when I searched for their website/Facebook/Social media,  to see what they were about and what their agenda is. Not too much info out there, maybe you can tell us of their future plans for boaters as you seam involved with these groups.

Just looked on their website and it’s obvious they don't agree with the surcharge for Boats without a home mooring, I would say this is contrary to the thoughts of the majority of boat owners. 

@David Mack Sorry, I imagine thats out of date as I didn’t realise it was put out in 2016, maybe @wandering snail can update us all on current NABO thinking and their future plans for canal boaters.

21 hours ago, BoatinglifeupNorth said:

This will be in the monthly bulletin and the bi-monthly magazine that members get. So, if you're a member, you will be updated.

@David Mack Sorry, I imagine thats out of date as I didn’t realise it was put out in 2016, maybe @wandering snail can update us all on current NABO thinking and their future plans for canal boaters.

Edited by wandering snail

4 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Seams a shame that you can’t make information about NABOs way ahead available to the general boating community and that it’s only for members, I’m sure members wouldn’t mind if you put out your future intentions to deal with the Canal funding crisis and the licence increase/surcharges.
 Looking at your FB site that you seam to run, there was a comment saying NABO just puts out information and NTBA is more militant/action and looking at the information you’ve put on it’s all readily available, maybe putting out your future intentions may encourage people to join, instead of only making it only available to members???

• 2 weeks later...