Residential address

ChrisTabern

Featured Posts

Hi all, ive had something niggling in my head for as long as i can remember, about living on a narrowboat. Im a water person and have to be near water and nature. Im now in a position to make that leap, but have questions. What do you do for an address for post etc, how much roughly is it to live per year inc marrina fees where i will prob be living in Scarasbrick lancashire. What are the pros and cons? Thanks for any advice given x

1 hour ago, ChrisTabern said:

Hi all, ive had something niggling in my head for as long as i can remember, about living on a narrowboat. Im a water person and have to be near water and nature. Im now in a position to make that leap, but have questions. What do you do for an address for post etc, how much roughly is it to live per year inc marrina fees where i will prob be living in Scarasbrick lancashire. What are the pros and cons? Thanks for any advice given x

Maybe you haven't had responses because there's been lots of discussion about the issues you are interested in that can be found through the search function.  A fairly recent thread on this subject here:

• Greenie 1

If the marina gives you residential status (at a cost) then you can use their address, otherwise its family and friends etc (this is what children are for 😀).

If its not residential then there will be all sorts of limitations, both written and informal, and you will need the address elsewhere.

Cost is very variable and depends on the boat, how much maintenance it needs, and how much you choose to do. Maintenance is the big and unknown bill.

Some people manage to live for almost nothing, whilst many say 5 to 7 thousand plus marina fees.

After 14 years of continuous cruising the 5000 to 7000 figure looks about correct to me though you will use less diesel and maybe less mainenance if you don't move much.

3 hours ago, ChrisTabern said:

Welcome to the forum 

• Greenie 1

On 11/07/2023 at 21:06, dmr said:

If the marina gives you residential status (at a cost) then you can use their address, otherwise its family and friends etc (this is what children are for 😀).

If its not residential then there will be all sorts of limitations, both written and informal, and you will need the address elsewhere.

Cost is very variable and depends on the boat, how much maintenance it needs, and how much you choose to do. Maintenance is the big and unknown bill.

Some people manage to live for almost nothing, whilst many say 5 to 7 thousand plus marina fees.

After 14 years of continuous cruising the 5000 to 7000 figure looks about correct to me though you will use less diesel and maybe less mainenance if you don't move much.