Cooking Squirrel

Gnome K Gnome

Featured Posts

Chris,

do you eat the squirrels you shoot? I tasted squirrel for the first time a year ago, and i rather liked it. - not much meat on it mind.

You need to sort out the young ones for the best eating. You can tell by how easy they are to skin. :cheers:

Prepare and cook much as you would a rabbit.....

You need to sort out the young ones for the best eating. You can tell by how easy they are to skin. :cheers:

Prepare and cook much as you would a rabbit.....

when i ate it - we just cooked it over a fire (we were in the woods).

would be interested to try some other methods - i found it did taste a bit like duck...

Chris W has a recipe he'll sell you..... :lol:

I tried it perhaps 20 years ago when we were so hard up we would eat owt, including road kill and even the tame ducks off the village pond....

Tried Rook as well about the same time. Its pretty much like eating chicken, but the black feathers are a bit off putting.... :cheers:

Chris W has a recipe he'll sell you..... :cheers:

I tried it perhaps 20 years ago when we were so hard up we would eat owt, including road kill and even the tame ducks off the village pond....

i do eat road kill - don't see a problem with eating road kill!

If I could persuade my wife to stop when we're travelling between home and the midlands we'd be eating roadkill as well. Many is the time along the A458 we've seen pheasants killed by cars either just in front of us or coming the other way.....my brother in law once arrived home to find a pheasant wedged in the gap between his roofbox and the car roof, funny bugger didnt eat it just binned it straight off.

With squirrel isnt it the back legs which are eaten mostly, these being the only really meaty bits on them.

If I could persuade my wife to stop when we're travelling between home and the midlands we'd be eating roadkill as well. Many is the time along the A458 we've seen pheasants killed by cars either just in front of us or coming the other way.....my brother in law once arrived home to find a pheasant wedged in the gap between his roofbox and the car roof, funny bugger didnt eat it just binned it straight off.

With squirrel isnt it the back legs which are eaten mostly, these being the only really meaty bits on them.

Americans eat the brains and they get CJD from them.

And your scientific source of evidence would be ... ???

Never tried squirrel, but would love to. If there's anyone near Cow Roast that can, whilst I'm there, trap/kill them I'm happy to the skinning and preparaion if needs be. (I know the theory ... the practice was several years ago on a hare! Hope that makes sense!)

When you braise rabbits, sticking bread into the eyesockets, to dunk the brains, is one of the best bits. I imagine squirrel would be similar (though the bread soldiers would have to be smaller).

I imagine squirrel would be similar (though the bread soldiers would have to be smaller).

hahaha.

Talking about "alternative" meat's - last summer i spent 6 days on a remote scottish island, with 8 other people and a hell of a lot of Puffins, and a whole host of other Sea Birds.

Me and a friend were keen to try and eat a Puffin, but one of the blokes on the island with us was a total nutter (was Huge, looked like a bull dog, and would go on about being in Serbia as a Security Guard in the Early 90's)! - even though he ate loads of meat (he was a body builder), he didn't see that it was right to catch a Puffin and eat it; the reason behind us wanting to do this was that Puffin (and other sea birds) was a part of the staple diet of the people that used to live on the island, and we wanted to try to recreate - to some extent - the conditions they had to live by.

He basically threatened us (or insinuated violence) after we caught some fish and ate them.... so we figured seeing as we were on a remote island, and that the nearest bit of land was 30 minutes on a boat away; that the best plan was not to catch the Puffin to eat, and leave it for another time...

Anyone tried Puffin?

Edited by grahoom

hahaha.

Talking about "alternative" meat's - last summer i spent 6 days on a remote scottish island, with 8 other people and a hell of a lot of Puffins, and a whole host of other Sea Birds.

Me and a friend were keen to try and eat a Puffin, but one of the blokes on the island with us was a total nutter (was Huge, looked like a bull dog, and would go on about being in Serbia as a Security Guard in the Early 90's)! - even though he ate loads of meat (he was a body builder), he didn't see that it was right to catch a Puffin and eat it; the reason behind us wanting to do this was that Puffin (and other sea birds) was a part of the staple diet of the people that used to live on the island, and we wanted to try to recreate - to some extent - the conditions they had to live by.

He basically threatened us (or insinuated violence) after we caught some fish and ate them.... so we figured seeing as we were on a remote island, and that the nearest bit of land was 30 minutes on a boat away; that the best plan was not to catch the Puffin to eat, and leave it for another time...

Anyone tried Puffin?

No but I've had puffin and guillemot eggs. I've also had swan (very rich and red meat, like ostrich) and basically anything (edible) put in front of me, I'll try. Nigeria was very interesting, though I can't help feeling the local fast food outlet was pandering to my curiosity and his menu had a greater variety of names than actual dishes.

Lebanese food is one of my favorites because there are always plenty of leftovers, to mop up, after you tell people what's on their plate.

No but I've had puffin and guillemot eggs. I've also had swan (very rich and red meat, like ostrich) and basically anything (edible) put in front of me, I'll try. Nigeria was very interesting, though I can't help feeling the local fast food outlet was pandering to my curiosity and his menu had a greater variety of names than actual dishes.

Lebanese food is one of my favorites because there are always plenty of leftovers, to mop up, after you tell people what's on their plate.

You might enjoy this link http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=1831&page=241

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...