Python drive

Featured Posts

OK, sorry to have troubled you all.  Quite what you think is going on is totally beyond me - I have a narrowboat and I have a badly damaged Python drive.  I asked for advice about replacing it but it seems to have become something more.

For those of you who have offered advice - I thank you, it has given me some confidence that I can resolve my problem.

For those of you who think there is ‘some thing else’ going on - sorry to disappoint - just a simple request for advice.  I do not know why it has ruffled your feathers!

If I have the opportunity to post a photo to satisfy, I will do so tomorrow.   But no promises.

12 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

For those of you who think there is ‘some thing else’ going on - sorry to disappoint - just a simple request for advice.  I do not know why it has ruffled your feathers!

Let me explain then. Python drives can usually be repaired and your diagnosis that the whole thing needs replacing is intriguing, mainly because it is so rare.

Hence the request for a photo of what went so badly wrong, so the whole forum can learn. Along with any future readers landing on this thread. 

But you seem to find this all totally unreasonable, so we end up asking ourselves why...

49 minutes ago, MtB said:

Let me explain then. Python drives can usually be repaired and your diagnosis that the whole thing needs replacing is intriguing, mainly because it is so rare.

Hence the request for a photo of what went so badly wrong, so the whole forum can learn. Along with any future readers landing on this thread. 

But you seem to find this all totally unreasonable, so we end up asking ourselves why...

We?

I wasn't aware you had been appointed spokesperson for the forum?

Did I miss the memo?

Perhaps I should try this again?  It was not and is not my intention to cause such upset but it seems I have!

In order to assess an issue with my Python drive I need to remove it for investigation to identify a repair/replacement plan of action.  
Is the removal of the drive sufficiently straight forward such that I can undertake it?

Once removed it should prove easier for me to publish photographs in order to seek advice on a plan of action.

1 minute ago, TeeELL said:

Perhaps I should try this again?  It was not and is not my intention to cause such upset but it seems I have!

In order to assess an issue with my Python drive I need to remove it for investigation to identify a repair/replacement plan of action.  
Is the removal of the drive sufficiently straight forward such that I can undertake it?

Once removed it should prove easier for me to publish photographs in order to seek advice on a plan of action.

Yes, but you may need Alan keys, I did on the Aquadrive.  Take off the nuts on both half couplings, free the bearing from its bracket, push the two half couplings together and lift the bearing. that should give you enough space free any studs from the shaft/gearbox half coupling.

If you can't get enough free space, push the tiller hard over an dpush the shaft back, loosening the gland if needed.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, TeeELL said:

Yes, it is fairly simple. 

You will need a set of Allen keys, open ended spanners, some device to lock the unit against rotation when undoing the nuts/bolts.

If your shaft locking caboodle will not come out, there are usually 2 additional holes which you will need to screw bolts into to force it out of the holding unit.

Once off, you can then work out whether you need to replace the whole lot or not.

Edited by matty40s

Thank you for the information gentlemen.  When it comes to necessary tools, I have them in abundance - even torque wrenches!   I will supply photos etc in the fullness of time for your valued opinions of the condition of the Python drive and guidance on the repair/replacement scenario.

Take the central section out first, this will then allow access to the prop shaft clamp inside the blue unit at the top. 

Most common fault is the bearing at the top will have worn as it is a sealed unit and cant be lubricated manually.

First of all please accept my apology for not knowing that the more modern Aquadrives and the Pythondrive use a fancy taper-lock system to secure the shaft directly into the thrust bearing assembly.

Once you do as Matty advises, one hopes it will be easy to get the jacking screws into position to free the front and back locking cones. The online      instructions are here with the details https://haynav.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Python-Drive-manual-EN.pdf

Tony,

I have yet to discover if my Python drive is ‘modern’, it has been in my boat for 20 years!   Nevertheless, thank you for the instructions, I don’t believe my file on equipment fitted to my boat has the Python drive information.

The wobbly python video just needs the bolts/ socket screws replacing, it looks as though there is only one left that is just about holding on. My Python drive actually has a grease nipple in the top of the thrust bearing, I might have a more recent unit that can be greased but I  would not be at all surprised if  has been fitted upside down and the nipple is underneath the thing. Once the two constant velocity joints and the short shaft has been removed (Easy, just remove the bolts / screws and the thing will slide out) you can get at the ring of fixings inside the flanges but unless there is a really big problem such as a slipping shaft there should be no reason to touch them. If the shaft is slipping (unlikely) you will have to fit a new split taper collar thingy -available from Fenner and doubtless many other places. The big thrust bearing at the rear end is unlikely to be damaged but if it really is then you will need a power transmission or bearing place on an industrial estate somewhere near you for advice. If it is the two CV joints giving problems then you will have to search for some greasy little place that rebuilds drive shafts. Good luck