Water tank painting - Two Pack vs Bitumen

Featured Posts

When considering water tank painting, I always assumed that two pack would be better in the long run. But it would cost more and the tank would have to be taken back to bare metal if bitumen had previously been used.

But does anyone have any views or knowledge of two pack type paints being too brittle for an integral water tank? Will a firm collision be too likely to crack the paint and allow the ingress of water to form rust? Especially compared to bitumen based paints. 

Just for the record, I don't plan to have many collisions! 😂 I just wondered if given good access, bitumen was actually better?

14 minutes ago, nbbranwell said:

When considering water tank painting, I always assumed that two pack would be better in the long run. But it would cost more and the tank would have to be taken back to bare metal if bitumen had previously been used.

But does anyone have any views or knowledge of two pack type paints being too brittle for an integral water tank? Will a firm collision be too likely to crack the paint and allow the ingress of water to form rust? Especially compared to bitumen based paints. 

Just for the record, I don't plan to have many collisions! 😂 I just wondered if given good access, bitumen was actually better?

I'd make sure whatever you use leaves a potable coating, unless you enjoy a dose of solvents etc. with your drinks?

Two pack coatings are usually pretty tough. I think you have to accept that damage is pretty likely if your collision is hard enough to cause a change of shape, though it will probably survive normal contact sport boating.

Nonetheless I would consult the makers' tech services department and ask them a specific question about the likelihood of damage to the internal coating in the event of a collision.

N

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Two pack coatings are usually pretty tough. I think you have to accept that damage is pretty likely if your collision is hard enough to cause a change of shape, though it will probably survive normal contact sport boating.

"contact sport boating" 😂

Nonetheless I would consult the makers' tech services department and ask them a specific question about the likelihood of damage to the internal coating in the event of a collision.

I am emailed one of the ones I mentioned already, I will report back with what they say. I expect it will be: read the spec, no guarantees, but we have lots of satisfied customers. 😀