Floating Restaurant in London Business Idea

Riverdee

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, junior said:

I don't think the OP is a real person. A lot of their posts read like Artificial Intelligence stuff.

Reviewing the OP I can see what you mean, but I disagree. None of the other AI thread-starters ever respond directly to subsequent posts, although I grant you that is the next step. 

Gwetting back to the OP I think people interested in "experience traditional dishes prepared according to Jewish law and spend quality time with friends and family in a tranquil atmosphere and unique vibe" won't particularly care if it is on a boat in particular, or just "anywhere tranquil" of any sort. 

So doing it on a boat is artificially introducing a whole load of unnecessary difficulties in getting it going. 

Just my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Gwetting back to the OP I think people interested in "experience traditional dishes prepared according to Jewish law and spend quality time with friends and family in a tranquil atmosphere and unique vibe" won't particularly care if it is on a boat in particular, or just "anywhere tranquil" of any sort. 

So doing it on a boat is artificially introducing a whole load of unnecessary difficulties in getting it going. 

You're party right about that, although any 'tranquil' place will suffice, the area where we intend to operate does not yet have any cruising restaurants or venue. There are plenty of static ones though.

And the reason being that the area is so over-populated that CRT are not giving any commercial moorings.

2 minutes ago, Riverdee said:

You're party right about that, although any 'tranquil' place will suffice, the area where we intend to operate does not yet have any cruising restaurants or venue. There are plenty of static ones though.

And the reason being that the area is so over-populated that CRT are not giving any commercial moorings.

Hmmm. 

Just to be clear, I'm not posting to pour cold water on your ideas but to stress-test them. 

I see your point about moorings. If there are no commercial moorings you'll have to cruise. But won't you still have to have a home mooring, possibly commercial, for customers to board at? Would a canal-side site be equally viable for your restaurant? 

17 minutes ago, MtB said:

None of the other AI thread-starters ever respond directly to subsequent posts, although I grant you that is the next step.

Seems like it worries some people that I reply to every post, so I'll try not to (although I still believe its nice to acknowledge when someone takes the time to respond, peoples times are precious and when they share their wisdom or advice I do not take it for granted ..oh well, thats my theory)

So a big thank you in advance!

• Greenie 2

10 hours ago, junior said:

I don't think the OP is a real person. A lot of their posts read like Artificial Intelligence stuff.

No kidding. Read my earlier posts.  Clearly AI. Stands out a mile.  Not sure why anyone is entertaining it.  😂

1 minute ago, truckcab79 said:

No kidding. Read my earlier posts.  Clearly AI. Stands out a mile.  Not sure why anyone is entertaining it.  😂

To be fair, although it’s clearly AI responding, I assume there’s a genuine person behind it harvesting the information produced, so in that sense it’s still a ‘real’ thread I suppose.  Given how long ago it started though and how unlikely it is as a business proposition I imagine they’ve given up a while back.  

3 minutes ago, MtB said:

Just to be clear, I'm not posting to pour cold water on your ideas but to stress-test them. 

I see that and I appreciate it 😉

Yes, we have a private mooring that is not too far and have the option to board there. While a canal-side venue could work, I still see that 'the cruising part' does make it more special. Especially for people who have never been on a boat before. 

5 minutes ago, Riverdee said:

Especially for people who have never been on a boat before. 

Ah but that's the bit that troubles me. The 'split' in reasons for coming to your restaurant. People who have never been on a boat before can do that without the expensive Jewish cuisine meal they might have no interest in, and people who will appreciate your accurate cuisine are probabl;y going to be 'meh' about it being on a boat. 

Having said that I constantly see apparently unviable businesses succeed due to the sheer enthusiasm, optimism and commitment of their proprietors. And their deep pockets. 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

The 'split' in reasons for coming to your restaurant.

I'll explain, since we have been doing charter trips for a couple of years now, we know we have the demand and clientele for catered events and venue hire.

On top of that we thought to add a dining experience, as many said we should add a few menu options. So while we will have the Jewish cuisine option, we will have other packages as well. 

When I initially asked my question, it was just to research if this one part of the business will be of interest.

4 minutes ago, Riverdee said:

I'll explain, since we have been doing charter trips for a couple of years now, we know we have the demand and clientele for catered events and venue hire.

On top of that we thought to add a dining experience, as many said we should add a few menu options. So while we will have the Jewish cuisine option, we will have other packages as well. 

When I initially asked my question, it was just to research if this one part of the business will be of interest.

Ah that puts a very different light on it. I'd forgotten all that. Its been a long time since I read the whole thread! 

2 hours ago, Riverdee said:

I appreciate your questions though, its always good for someone with no vested interest to double check.

Curious though, have you ever been in the business consulting field? You'll be good at it

Thank for for your kind comment.

No, but I've been starting and running small businesses since my early 20s. Mostly successfully, and with one spectcaular fail! 

Guess which one I learned the most from ;) 

5 minutes ago, Riverdee said:

“We learn from failure, not from success!”

Bram Stoker

Very true.

In fact it's worse than that. Much worse. All my life I've seen businesses set up and succeed, some of them by the pure luck of entering the right business sector at the right time, and making a fortune. When this happens it is remarkable how often the proprietor believes they are spectacularly gifted and talented and the success of the business is all down to them. Then the business cycle turns but they carry on doing what they alwsys did and it all goes sour, and they come up with reams of reasons why their business failed, nothing to do with them failing to see the cycle changing. 

The "Exchange and Mart" paper was a great example. When Auto Trader came along putting photos in of the cars, E&M management dismissed the idea and laughed at it, which ultimately led to the shrinking of the publication to a shadow of its former self.

• Greenie 1