HEAT EXCHANGER Thorney Croft 1.8 MK 140

Puff Along

Featured Posts

Assuming 1.8 means BMC 1.8 and not some random 1800CC engine.

Are you & friend sure that is off a BMC 1.8? If it is, then how do you fit the inlet manifold. BMC 1.5s and 1.8s Have exhaust stubs that hold the body clear of, and above, the head ports, so the inlet manifold can be fitted.

The one in the image looks more like one from a modern engine with inlet ports and exhaust ports on opposite sides of the engine like Ford XLDs, Kubota etc.

Incidently, it is THORNYCROFT, and I think the same manifold fits the 1.5.

PS What are you trying to achieve in posting a link to a PRIVATE Faceache group. Many do not use Facebook and still fewer belong to that private group.

Edited by Tony Brooks

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its got to be a late Thornycroft, possibly a Mitsubishi engine.  Don't/ Won't do Faceache.

That makes sense but why will these posters not give the information needed. I still wonder if the engine has been misidentified.

I also don't want anything to do with Facebook so why posters who what help expect everyone to have given their data to these companies is beyond me.

• Greenie 1

As said a friend asked and I said someone will know.image.thumb.png.9ffde15efca935ca6232d995c6d0ca8a.png

As said a friend asked and I said someone will know.

It's a Thorney Croft T80 based on a Mitsubushi K4 D so Mr Darth is correct anyone know of a Heat Exchanger for one please?image.thumb.png.9ffde15efca935ca6232d995c6d0ca8a.png

It seems Lancing Marine list them, as do Bowman, but I suspect the friend does not want to pay the new price, especially as they may not need the heat exchanger core for a tank cooled narrowboat or a keel cooled boat.

I suspect this item will be hard to find second hand because if an engine blew up it could be cheaper to transfer all the marine parts to a new short motor than buy a different second hand engine and then cut the beds about to get it to mate with the prop shaft.

PS, out of interest, what is wrong with the one you photograph? If it is cracked, then a half decent aluminium welder should be more than able to fix it.

Edited by Tony Brooks

I'm away at the moment, I haven't seen it. belongs to 2 ladies on our pontoon.They where told they need a new one...I was just trying to be helpful towards them.Facebook is good for some and not for others It's a great way to keep up with my Grandkids in Switzerland/America.

14 minutes ago, Puff Along said:

I'm away at the moment, I haven't seen it. belongs to 2 ladies on our pontoon.They where told they need a new one...I was just trying to be helpful towards them.Facebook is good for some and not for others It's a great way to keep up with my Grandkids in Switzerland/America.

Wish I could help you to help them. Could you ask them to come on here to tell us about it themselves? Now you say two ladies, I get concerned they may be in the hands of an incompetent or a rip-off merchant. I am not talking about you, by the way.

I really don't know, They mentioned they where having problems the day before I left.Im back Sunday so will look into it a bit more.I only said to them they other day how sweet the engine sounded. Big Mouth I should have kept my trap sut!!!!!!

Edited by Puff Along

That photo appears to be a Bowman item, it's worth contacting Bowmans direct, with as much information as possible, (base engine/part No. from old exchanger etc.).

It's possible Bowman can make a new one or repair the the old.

Bod

24 minutes ago, Bod said:

That photo appears to be a Bowman item, it's worth contacting Bowmans direct, with as much information as possible, (base engine/part No. from old exchanger etc.).

It's possible Bowman can make a new one or repair the the old.

Bod

When I looked a few days ago, I think I saw that Bowman listed it under MK 140, and so do Lancing Marine, but I suspect the cost is the issue.