Non fade Canvas recommendation for bimini

Featured Posts

I need to replace the bimini on my boat, it's a simple design so am doing myself.

I have researched different brands for Non fade waterproof and types but most have some reviews or images with some severely faded in just 1 year.

It's hard to trust what to go for as the work and time involved I don't want to waste, has anyone here personally used or purchased some that lasts and can recommend?

Thanks

Edited by Dockeroo

Any preferences on initial colour? Pigment colour affects colour fastness of paint, so I'm guessing canvas dye is variable in its resistant to fade depending on colour as well as material.

How about white canvas? Arrives pre-faded.

38 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Any preferences on initial colour? Pigment colour affects colour fastness of paint, so I'm guessing canvas dye is variable in its resistant to fade depending on colour as well as material.

How about white canvas? Arrives pre-faded.

Unfortunately black is the only real colour that matches my boat and my plans to go with, which I guess is most likely to fade.

The only other colour is beige but I really want black, I've seen boats with black canvas, but I don't want to Invest in a fabric and do all the work for it to fade quickly

We have had a black canvas cratch cover for many years now. The only way I have found to keep it looking good is to clean at least once a year and use something like this.

Carbusonic Black Convertible Roof Dye Soft Top Hood Canvas Restorer, Restores Colour To Fabrics. Change The Colour Of Convertible Roofs And Soft

Edited by Ray T

Treating the canvas with Fabsil or Fabsil Gold every year will help the canvas retain its colour.

Our covers and bimini were dark navy and held their colour really well. However the new owners have not treated them and they have now faded.

Fabsil Gold is the more concentrated waterproofing and recommended for full time external exposure

However only the less concentrated and cheaper Fabsil claims to include UV protection

Must admit I have not applied fresh treatment recently. 

But it reverts to navy blue when wet.