ISUZU fuel filter BSS compliant

Grover

Featured Posts

I'm told that this filter, which is sold by chandlers for canal boat use, may not be BSS compliant, as it doesn't appear to be of metal construction.  Has anyone had this problem, or had to replace the filter with a more obvious metal canister?

image.thumb.jpeg.962cd3e49d73e9d4a2cd3243669588d2.jpeg

I very much doubt that a spin in filter will have anything but a metal body, but if it has a drain screw that might be plastic. However, a short 8mm set screw usually replaces it easily. A few may have a metal screw but a plastic outer bit. In that case, I would photograph it to show the examiner if he fails it.

5 minutes ago, Grover said:

That's what I need to establish.  It appears to be metal, but BSS aren't convinced.  It's sold as compliant for marinised engines.

Put a magnet on it, I very much doubt the manufacturer would pay for brass, copper or aluminium. I can't see plastic being man enough for the unscrewing or tightening when a gorilla does the job.

Did this come from the BSS office or an examiner. If the latter, did he by any chance have  "complaint" one to sell you or pay him to fit.

Are you sure he is not talking about a possible water trap between tank and lift pump. Some of those have plastic bodies that you may need to prove meets the fire resistance requirement, usually by the manual or document from the manufacturer.

Edited by Tony Brooks