Water Tank Cleaning/Rust removal

Featured Posts

On 11/04/2023 at 10:35, Tracy D'arth said:

Phosphoric acid ( Jenolite ) will neutralise thin rust, you need to get all the scale off.

Like wise, Fertan will also work but you have to wash it off afterwards.

Vactan will do the same job but leaves a vinyl layer.

All will accept two pack epoxy afterwards.

Really? That's the fist time I've heard that. They may "accept" two-part epoxy but it's not recommended to apply epoxy over these rust converters.

The only way is to remove the rust mechanically which means hard graft with an angle grinder and wire wheels/cups. To get into the corners use a welders chipping hammer. It can be done. 

CAM00719.jpg

CAM00724.jpg

17 hours ago, Owls Den said:

Could anyone tell from these pics what this is painted/ coated in ? 

My water tank was coated in a thick layer of beige epoxy cement that the builder had used. It had kept the tank in pretty good condition over 10 years but water had started to get under the coating in places and I ended up chipping the lot out with a needle gun, hammer and an angle grinder/wire wheels. I must have taken 6 buckets of the stuff out of the tank.

I don't know if that's what you've got?

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Really? That's the fist time I've heard that. They may "accept" two-part epoxy but it's not recommended to apply epoxy over these rust converters.

The only way is to remove the rust mechanically which means hard graft with an angle grinder and wire wheels/cups. To get into the corners use a welders chipping hammer. It can be done. 

CAM00719.jpg

CAM00724.jpg

My water tank was coated in a thick layer of epoxy cement that the builder had used. It had kept the tank in pretty good condition over 10 years but water had started to get under the coating in places and I ended up chipping the lot out with a needle gun, hammer and an angle grinder/wire wheels. I must have taken 6 buckets of the stuff out of the tank.

I don't know if that's what you've got?

Don't think my tank is quite that clean yet. Seems that I've got some work to do. At 6'2" and 17st, it'll not be easy! 

4 minutes ago, Dibble said:

You didn't used to work in the Jam butty mines by any chance? 🤣

Certainly not one of Dodd's Diddy-Men - I am 6 feet tall and was standing upright in that photograph - our water tank is integral with the bow and holds a lot of water.

• 4 months later...
On 11/04/2023 at 12:34, Lady C said:

I had a 'plastic' tank put in mine years ago.  It's quite solid not one of those plastic bag affairs.  I used to black the integral tank every Spring until I found I was still getting rusty water because the inside of the feed pipe had corroded.  No regrets (yet).

Hi Lady C

Can I ask who fitted the plastic tank for you?

Thanks