F MC Butties BASCOTE and HELEN

Hobbler

Featured Posts

I think the point is that some boats with wood bottoms were called 'all steel' and others with wood bottoms 'composite'. ? :cheers: I think the point is that some boats with wood bottoms were called 'all steel' and others with wood bottoms 'composite'. ? :lol:

I've never heard that before.

I've never heard that before.

Various materials were used, including wrought iron, coppered iron, mild steel and I seem to remember a suggestion that some of the very late ones were built with a steel equivalent of coppered iron (something like Corten steel, perhaps?).

I don't know if these things were ever properly documented, or whether Alan Faulkner had any knowledge of them, but I reckon it's quite possible that some were built with steel plates on iron knees, whereas steel plates on steel knees could be construed as 'all steel' if you take it as read that they were all of composite construction.

Tim

Not sure if I understand the question but there is an obvious distinction....the wooden bottoms of the composite preclude them from being described as all steel, or all iron.

Sorry I did not put the question very well .

What I was trying to say was that in his book " A Short History of FMC " Alan Faulkner includes a complete list of FMC boats , their method of construction , the builders etc . He lists a number as of Composite construction , but he also lists a further ten as of " All Steel Construction".. We now are fairly certain that the ten listed as "All steel" all had wooden bottoms and so were technically composite . The question was therefore why did he make a distinction ?

Maybe 'composite' in this case refers to a mix of METALS used for the knees and side plating, as Timleech suggests, rather than the more common meaning that being a mix of metal and wood in the overall hull construction. Composite just means 'made up of distinct parts'.

Interestingly, It was me that hung Sagitta up on a lock gate a few years ago.

Got the pointy end stuck up on a coachbolt at the top of a lock gate and as the water ran out, I did a quick bottom inspection.

LoL. My crew did this with the then newly restored 'Leo' some years back going down one of the Stourbridge 16. The boats stem post trapped in the gap worn between the top of the two mitre post iron guards. I was one lock ahead with Atlas at the time so didn't actually see it happen but they said it was dramatic.......... :D

The irony was we were instructed by a know-it-all a couple of locks further on that we should be tying the butty forward to the paddle gear before emptying the lock..... :wub:

I found a pic of Bascote today when with Willer wrens on this website

http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Payler%...WWren/WWren.htm

What a wonderful set of photos. I have been trying to identify the boatmen but have only recognised Mark Harrison so far. Do you know when they were taken, it may be before my time as I strted after Leslie Morton formed Willow Wren C.T.S.

• 13 years later...