Lichfield Canal

SteveCourty

Featured Posts

I'm hoping to explore this soon and looking at the weather this weekend around my way I may head up for a few hours on Sunday if things stay the same. It looks like large sections aren't on footpaths yet from what I can find online. Can anyone point me in the direction of an accurate map showing where I can and can't go? Mainly on the Litchfield end From Huddlesford Junction to Fosseway Heath.

Just had a look at LHCRT website they have a page of maps 

https://www.lhcrt.org.uk/lichfieldcanalmaps.htm

but scrolling down I tried this and it looks to me to be pretty good, created by LHCRT but on google maps Green tracks are walking routes

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1R_5qDKweORBt6sTbMhjDXvA7lY8&ll=52.67701152186553%2C-1.7945866313497594&z=17

And there's a couple of Andy Tidy's episodes on you tube

springy

Edited by springy
add andy tidy's stuff

10 hours ago, springy said:

Just had a look at LHCRT website they have a page of maps 

https://www.lhcrt.org.uk/lichfieldcanalmaps.htm

but scrolling down I tried this and it looks to me to be pretty good, created by LHCRT but on google maps Green tracks are walking routes

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1R_5qDKweORBt6sTbMhjDXvA7lY8&ll=52.67701152186553%2C-1.7945866313497594&z=17

And there's a couple of Andy Tidy's episodes on you tube

springy

Thank you, I've subscribed and they've been very helpful piecing the sections together!

On the maps it sys about the HS2 works meaning they aren't up to date. Also I know some sections have probably changed since they uploaded the maps.

10 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

HS2 has messed up the Huddlesfoed end. Best start from Cappers Lane Bridge

Is that section being dug at the moment? I didn't think the work had started?

The diversionary works for the Lichfield is perhaps the most interesting as they make a new line of waterway around the south of Lichfield

It is also worthwhile visiting the pools by the Cathedral as that is where Jame Brindley first looked at a canal.

Some of the stained glass at the Cathedral was delivered by canal boat to the nearest wharf on the Wyrley & Essington

This is a very instructive video that shows the present work on making the link between the Coventry Canal and Lichfield. It is a credit to the Lichfield & Hatherton Trust that they have continually persevered in this goal and it is remarkable what is now being accomplished as they follow in the footsteps of John Brawn the contractor who built the original waterway from Wolverhampton through to Huddlesford. There is a remarkable link to Steve Courty, in a fashion that it. The records of Brawns works held by the CRT mention that he had brought his contractors from a contract in Hampshire, which is presumed to be a canal or river navigation contract there.

The Churchbridge Locks were lost through opencast mining. With modern technology and engineering a route similar might be conceived however the LHCT have long determined to use a shorter line to link the Hatherton Branch of the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal with the BCN. How practical this scheme is, owning to the financial headwinds that popular press and the present transport secretary allude to, remains a matter of discussion and hopefully work will be concentrated on the section between Brownhills and Huddlesford.

On 31/03/2023 at 16:49, Heartland said:

Yes the blockage proved a problem, but the Trust still has serious intentions for complete restoration as shown by their 2022 plan-

Hatherton Canal diagrammed.jpg

I’m yet to explore the area but I’d like to in the summer, is there much in water?

11 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Excellent videos. Very interesting. The eastern end at Huddlesford was put back in water in the early 1970's by members of Lichfield Cruising Club. Although there are still plenty of challenges ahead it's great to see the progress being made.

I’d hoped to be able to walk the section on a future video and promote the stretch and the club but they won’t allow me access. It’s a shame really but I’ll just do it via drone and walk as close as the footpath allows.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

This is a video that shows the restoration progressing toward the Coventry Canal. It would appear that the New Cappers Lane Bridge will not be finished until 2027, but will there be a link through from the Coventry Canal to Lichfield and that when it happens will be a watershed moment

• Happy 1