Sterling alternator regulator

Jaston10078

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

I've installed a Sterling Pro Reg (DW) as per the instructions*. It seems to be working well. It has increased the voltage output to what our batteries actually need.

The device seems to be drawing about 300mA every 5 seconds or so for about a second when engine off. 

Is this normal? 

*I've attached the negative sense cable to the load side of the shunt rather than directly to the bank negative. (the alternator negative is also attached to the same spot) 

Yours is probably a more modern version of the 16 year old unit I have so I can't really help. Mine increases the absorption voltage from 14.4v to 14.8v and in doing so increases the amps delivered to the batteries (checked on my shunt battery monitor by removing/replacing the field wire).

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Yours is probably a more modern version of the 16 year old unit I have so I can't really help. Mine increases the absorption voltage from 14.4v to 14.8v and in doing so increases the amps delivered to the batteries (checked on my shunt battery monitor by removing/replacing the field wire).

Thanks, blackrose. I'm reassured given your figures that my unit is working as the old output was 14.4v during absorbtion and is now at 14.8v. 

21 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Is the yellow wire fed from a switched 12v supply?

It should be switched off by the ignition.

If not the unit will be on all the time.

Yellow was wired to D+ terminal and I spotted the 300mA draw so have now wired it to a disused breaker so I can switch it on and off there. (still the phantom current is being drawn) 

Other than the battery positive sense wire, where can it be accessing +12v? Do I have a short somewhere? 

Edited by Jaston10078

7 hours ago, Jaston10078 said:

Hi all, 

I've installed a Sterling Pro Reg (DW) as per the instructions*. It seems to be working well. It has increased the voltage output to what our batteries actually need.

The device seems to be drawing about 300mA every 5 seconds or so for about a second when engine off. 

Is this normal? 

*I've attached the negative sense cable to the load side of the shunt rather than directly to the bank negative. (the alternator negative is also attached to the same spot) 

Ask Sterling. Simples!