Shaking tiller

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, whilst reversing recently, I hit something underwater with prop. Felt like something hard, like a small log, or maybe a fender. Anyway, took it out of gear straightaway, let it settle and then engaged slow forward, fine no problem. I was stopping for fuel etc. Anyway after starting up again I have got this tiller shake like something is on the prop. Stopped again looked at prop just some rope, which I got off, and continued journey, but no change continues to shake like something on prop, or low water level. As I was returning way I came, and hadn’t noticed the vibration earlier, that was a week ago, still getting this vibration. I know at this time of year , leaves etc, but it is continuous , I am wondering could I have damaged something. Propeller seems stable. What should I check for, if anything ?

3 hours ago, Timx said:

Hi, whilst reversing recently, I hit something underwater with prop. Felt like something hard, like a small log, or maybe a fender. Anyway, took it out of gear straightaway, let it settle and then engaged slow forward, fine no problem. I was stopping for fuel etc. Anyway after starting up again I have got this tiller shake like something is on the prop. Stopped again looked at prop just some rope, which I got off, and continued journey, but no change continues to shake like something on prop, or low water level. As I was returning way I came, and hadn’t noticed the vibration earlier, that was a week ago, still getting this vibration. I know at this time of year , leaves etc, but it is continuous , I am wondering could I have damaged something. Propeller seems stable. What should I check for, if anything ?

Sounds like it needs to come out for inspection. I get occasional shake when water very low, but it stops if I slow down or water deepens.

Have you had a poke around with a boathook from the bank or lying on the stern deck?

Obviously this is subject to personal fitness levels but it was normal in working boat days to use the cabin shaft to remove debris from the prop and/or rudder. There is a good pictiure of it somewhere.

I have always done this as not interested in going into weed hatches. It does work unless you have something unusually persistent or bad on there.

It could be a dead animal. Definitely better to be socially distant at the end of an 8 or 10ft long pole in this situation.

You could at least feel around and figure out if there was something on there. If not on the prop then as suggested above perhaps on the rudder itself.

Edited by magnetman