MPPT setup

blackrose

Featured Posts

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

Ok I'll try that, thanks.

Just disconnected it at the MPPT and it hasn't changed. It was showing 16.6C before I disconnected it and it's still showing the same temperature. 

The MPPT came with a local temp sensor, a small green block plugged into the same socket, which I removed and plugged in the remote sensor.

Some controllers have an internal sensor which is used by default if no external sensor is fitted, so not surprisingly you will get a temp reading, though it is surprising that it reads exactly the same.  However if the external sensor is open circuit (eg broken wire) it would only use the internal sensor irrespective of wether it was plugged in or not.

Check the external sensor resistance.

13 hours ago, blackrose said:

The MPPT came with a local temp sensor, a small green block plugged into the same socket, which I removed and plugged in the remote sensor

That sounds like what came with mine that I separated and made into a remote sensor (with a bit of cable). What does it read if you use that one, for example touching or heating it compared with doing the same with the remote one?

I think I'm getting to the bottom of this. The display on the MPPT itself is quite difficult to read so I wasn't really looking at it, but I've just realised that the temperature shown is 14C today whereas on the remote MT50 display it's 32C.

So the question is which temperature is the MPPT battery voltage temperature adjustment using? I still have the remote battery temp sensor plugged into the MPPT.

IMG_20221118_124440.jpg

IMG_20221118_124452.jpg

Edited by blackrose

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Edit: I've just disconnected the temp sensor from the MPPT and it is indeed reverting to it's default temperature of 25C so it's obviously working and it was just the MT50 display that was confusing me. I guess the MPPT isn't communicating battery temp data to the MT50.

Just wondering :

The display show 'Contrioller Temperature' is that the internal temp of the actual controller, (getting warm changing voltages and current about)

The actual 'Battery Temperature' probe is possibly a totally different screen.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just wondering :

The display show 'Contrioller Temperature' is that the internal temp of the actual controller, (getting warm changing voltages and current about)

The actual 'Battery Temperature' probe is possibly a totally different screen.

Yes I guess you're right about the Controller Temp being for the controller rather than the batteries. But the battery temp isn't shown on the MT50 display when I scroll through the "Monitoring" screens. Likewise, as far as I can see the controller temperature isn't shown on the controller display. 

It doesn't really matter. I don't need to monitor the battery temperature. I just needed to know that the remote temp sensor was transmitting the correct information to the controller for voltage adjustment. It does seem to be doing that.

Edited by blackrose