Narrowboat Hire

Ron

Featured Posts

A year or so back I started a database of Hire companies listing locations, berth range of boats, whether they take pets,short breaks, disabled facilities....

It's incomplete, out of date ...

Is it useful?

you can find it at:

http://www.canalbarge.co.uk/narrowboat_int...esults_page.asp

The aim was to provide a database I could refer people too when my main website could not help them , saving me a lot of extensive email replies.

( People wanting to take a disabled Aunt with two Poodles on a short break using a twelve berth boat near Bath )

It actually took quite of a lot of time to compile the data and there are probably many errors.

Search facility does actually work but probably confusing, my skills here not strong.

Comments would be welcome

thanks

Ron

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron,

A great idea me thinks. I've just been trawling through the various sites looking at hiring and something like this would be a great tool. I don't envy you the task of keeping on top of it however, accuracy would be crucial of course. Best of luck for the future if you intend to keep going with it. BTW Ashby Boats do take pets, took my two dogs this year.

Ironically the boat I hired from Ashby to go up the Ashby canal was called .... "Ashby".

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=2424

Kev

Hi Ron,

A great idea me thinks. I've just been trawling through the various sites looking at hiring and something like this would be a great tool. I don't envy you the task of keeping on top of it however, accuracy would be crucial of course. Best of luck for the future if you intend to keep going with it. BTW Ashby Boats do take pets, took my two dogs this year.

Ironically the boat I hired from Ashby to go up the Ashby canal was called .... "Ashby".

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...si&img=2424

Kev

One of the mags produces a comprehensive supplement each year (C&R?)

I've used it a few times to find wheelchair friendly hirers.

One of the mags produces a comprehensive supplement each year (C&R?)

I've used it a few times to find wheelchair friendly hirers.

Many thanks for comments.

I cannot really see myself keeping it up to date or accurate, but it may be a useful starting point for some, or may inspire others to something better.

People are welcome to take what i have done as a starting pont for another project, but please let me know where I can access the new project. some sort of joint effort might also be possible.

If people send comments or help fill the gaps I will try and include them.

If you come accross a list of Wheelchair friendly companies I would be interested, both for family use and reference.

The disability issue is difficult in that so much depends on the nature of the disability, the amount of determination to overcome it and the willingnes of facility providers to cooperate in that process. I think the best such a database can offer here is to indicate that a particular boatyard may be at least sympathetic, for most it sems a complete negative

We have Muscular dystophy in the family and frankly the thought of a wheelchair dependant person on a 7 foot wide boat worries me, but if they have got the determination to face the challenges i have nothing but admiration fopr them.

Ron

Edited by Ron

I cannot really see myself keeping it up to date or accurate, but it may be a useful starting point for some, or may inspire others to something better.

People are welcome to take what i have done as a starting pont for another project, but please let me know where I can access the new project. some sort of joint effort might also be possible.

Ron

I think any resource like this is useful.

I've been away for a few days at the Northern Banter, so I'm just catching up with posts now.

Ron, you've obviously put a great deal of time and effort into that website. Well done. I'm sure it will prove very useful.

Janet

I've been away for a few days at the Northern Banter, so I'm just catching up with posts now.

Ron, you've obviously put a great deal of time and effort into that website. Well done. I'm sure it will prove very useful.

Janet

Thanks for kind comments , which may revive a flagging project.

If anyone were prepared to take one hire company, review information and get back with additions / corrections it would be really helpful.

Similarly if any one felt inspired to write a short review of a Company based on comments in Forum, own experience etc ... i will find a way to incorporate this information.

My own knowledge of the waterways is very limited. I find myself in this happy world by accident, so I a going to make basic errors and annoy alot of better informed people - but then I have rarely let ignorance be a barr to ambition, and got the scars to show it.

Any help welcome, if you were prepared to review a hire company it might be an idea to say so here, so people don't overlap.

many thanks

Ron

Edited by Ron

If people send comments or help fill the gaps I will try and include them.

If you come accross a list of Wheelchair friendly companies I would be interested, both for family use and reference.

The disability issue is difficult in that so much depends on the nature of the disability, the amount of determination to overcome it and the willingnes of facility providers to cooperate in that process. I think the best such a database can offer here is to indicate that a particular boatyard may be at least sympathetic, for most it sems a complete negative

We have Muscular dystophy in the family and frankly the thought of a wheelchair dependant person on a 7 foot wide boat worries me, but if they have got the determination to face the challenges i have nothing but admiration fopr them.

Ron

Empress Boats of Nantwich have built a hire boat with wheelchair users in mind.

Barry

Empress Boats of Nantwich have built a hire boat with wheelchair users in mind.

Barry

Thanks, Iwill have a look.

If anyone wants to add a company to the database you can do this online at:

http://www.canalbarge.co.uk/narrowboat_int...ssion1_form.htm

If you want to review an old entry, make a new entry using above link and put the review date in the comments section, I will then delete old entry.

A message to me at info@canalbarge.co.uk will speed up the removal of the old entry.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by Ron

Thanks, Iwill have a look.

If anyone wants to add a company to the database you can do this online at:

http://www.canalbarge.co.uk/narrowboat_int...ssion1_form.htm

If you want to review an old entry, make a new entry using above link and put the review date in the comments section, I will then delete old entry.

A message to me at info@canalbarge.co.uk will speed up the removal of the old entry.

Thanks

Ron

Ok that link does not work!

Try:

http://www.canalbarge.co.uk/narrowboat_int...ission_form.asp

One day I will learn how to use these machines - I hope!

You seem to be reinventing the wheel try this website http://www.apco.org.uk Association of Pleasure Craft Operators part of the BMF http://www.britishmarine.co.uk

Most boats are independently graded by Visit Britain

There are many places you can go to for information I know, but those I have come accross are usually lists of links you have to trawl though for information, with no search facility for services offerred.

Give me a specific link to a page with such a facility and I would be delighted.

What I could not find was an "at a glance " list of Hire companies that would tell you which Companies allow pets, provide Day hire , have a particular size boat or perhaps some sort of facility for a Wheelchair.

This is not intended to be in depth information, it aims to save time at the beginning of a search by helping to rule out the unlikely and highlighting the likely.

It must be said my list is far from comprehensive or complete, as it is a time consumming process, trawling through all the sites.

I tend to get a fair number of enquiries from people looking to hire Narrowboats and this database was primarily set up as somewhere i could refer them too , saving myself some lengthy replies.

Edited by Ron

• 1 month later...
Your list looks like the beginnings of something useful, but needs more work to be really helpful - I think too many companies are missed out, though perhaps the good people here can fill in the gaps for you.

The APCO list is not very useful as it only lists APCO members.

I know there are lots of gaps, it's a question of finding time and ethusiasm to make new entries...

Anyone can add another company by clicking on the "add new company button".

I do what i can when I can, help me and the coverage gets better!

http://www.canalbarge.co.uk/narrowboat_int...esults_page.asp

Edited by Ron