water tank painting

Featured Posts

can anyone tell me what the name of the paint is and what it is made form that one can use inside the water tanks .

It is the grey one that lasts ages raher than the cheaper option you need to repaint every 2 yeasr?

i need the name cos ours is 'outgassing' bad and water undrinkabl so need to call company and find out how long 'cure' time and whether we need to flush through several times or simply dry out tank and wait?

also if i knew what kind of solvent it was i could work out if i can flter it at all for use?

thanks t

Making sure you have a "food grade" paint can be very difficult. Many of the ordinary paints are not suitable for water tanks for the very reason you have mentioned, the strength of the spirit which is used in the paint. As this spirit comes off into the water it can be a real hazard to health.

Paint for water tanks is very expensive which is why most boat owners, if they have a steel tank, use the ordinary black that goes on the hull. I did mine four years ago and does not need re-doing. What I do though, is empty the tank once a year- usually for the winter months. For the rest of the year the water tastes fine.

Onboard our ships we use this from Hempel

Hempel

if you look under Marine, Potable water, coatings - you finally get there. For some reason the direct link doesn't work.

Anyway, it should be possible to order this through your local chandler.

Edited by DaveR

I haven't painted my water tank - it is just bare (now rusty) steel.

Should I paint it..?

Gordon

just brush the loose crud out of the tank, and give it a coating of Vactan (potable water approved rust converter in an acrylic ? medium) which will hold the corrosion. Paco systems on the 'net are the suppliers. You'll need about 1 litre.

At the risk of being a little controversial, surely this thread is a lesson to all ---- have a proper stainless water tank --- not the initally cheap option of using a convenient space in the hull !

Mike.

Mike

There is no reason at all to have a stainless water tank. If you saw how the water is kept before it reaches the tap. . . .well I won't go there.

The main thing with water is the frequency of change if the tank is not coated. I have seen test results on water from tanks which really defy description, which came back as perfectly acceptable for human consumption. One time we kept fresh water in a ballast tank (complete with anodes) for nearly two years, made the tea taste funny but it still passed the tests.

In fact I guess that's the test, does it taste OK? If yes then go for it.

Dave

I have no idea what the inside of my water tank looks like. Or is made of. :cheers:

Ignorance is bliss, probably better you don't. :lol:

The look and taste of water does not prove it is suitable for human consumption, it is what you cannot see or taste that will get you.

It will also depend on your age and constitution, the very young and the very old should be more careful.

Ignorance is bliss, probably better you don't. :cheers:

The look and taste of water does not prove it is suitable for human consumption, it is what you cannot see or taste that will get you.

It will also depend on your age and constitution, the very young and the very old should be more careful.

We drink bottled (tap) water and let the water tank supply us for washing up and showers and loo flushes. There might be nowt wrong with it but it's not a problem for us to pour a glass of water from a bottle, and our stash of water bottles mean we have to fill up slightly less frequently (we drink a lot of water!)

Hi Dave.

Surely Gordon and Chris' posts show exactly why a stainless tank is a good idea. No rust, no decomposition of the hull, no need for special rust covereters and paint etc. etc. Water quality is a separate issue altogether.

Mike.

nuthin very special about slapping on a bit of vactan.

if I had a stainless tank I would want to surround it in polyfoam. How do people maintain the space between a stainless tank and the inside of the shell?

Soon fixed with gaffer tape!

Sue

:cheers:

I suffer from KISS syndrome, so I'll stick to using a segregated compartment which is integral to my hull shell, thanks.

Actually I quite enjoyed contorting my long, old and rather unbendy body into the tank to paint it. If that's all I have to do, once every 2 years, then I'm more than happy.

Edited by chris polley

At the risk of being a little controversial, surely this thread is a lesson to all ---- have a proper stainless water tank --- not the initally cheap option of using a convenient space in the hull !

Mike.

it might just leak, like Barn Brian's. Then what do you do?

it might just leak, like Barn Brian's. Then what do you do?

I wonder why they're required by the CBA CoP (Canal Boat Builders Association Code Of Practice.)

Still at least it wasn't a poo tank :cheers:

If I was BarnBrian I'd try to fix it with some epoxy putty or even aluminium tape.

cheers,

Pete.

Our tank is galvanized, around twenty years old and gives us no problems. However, that`s not the point of this stream is it ! International ( yes - our most significant competitor) do an excellent hull blacking , Intertuf , which used to be certificated for use in domestic water tanks. It is only through an oversight at renewal time ( I`m told by someone who really ought to know) that it no longer has the appropriate certification. I would be happy to use it.

Phil