water tank painting

Featured Posts

This is one of those topics that is of very little value, every contributor will eulogise on the merits and superior performance of the type of tank which is fitted in his boat.

But the topic really is "painting the interior of a (non-stainless) steel tank", and I'm interested in this, too.

I've heard and read about cement (don't yet know how to link to another thread, but a search brings up a few).

Anyone have experience with both cement and "paint" - I've heard great stuff about "painting" the inside of (non stainless) steel tanks with cement. The real discussion there, seems to be how to mix up the cement (no sand, etc).

Someone with relevant experience can add more?

• 1 year later...

I need to repaint the inside of our water tank (mild steel, integral to hull) and I am very tempted to do it with cement rather than blacking which is what's on there at the moment. I figured I'd climb in, clean it up a bit, slap on a load of Vactan, and then give it a coat of cement slurry. However, what I need is the 'recipe' for the cement. Any suggestions?

But the topic really is "painting the interior of a (non-stainless) steel tank", and I'm interested in this, too.

I've heard and read about cement (don't yet know how to link to another thread, but a search brings up a few).

Anyone have experience with both cement and "paint" - I've heard great stuff about "painting" the inside of (non stainless) steel tanks with cement. The real discussion there, seems to be how to mix up the cement (no sand, etc).

Someone with relevant experience can add more?

Personally I would not cement wash any tank that may suffer impacts - like narrowboat tanks but I understand just cement is mixed with water to the consistency of emulsion paint. One coat is applied and left until it hardens but does not dry out. At this point another coat is applied. This time when it hardens but not dried out the tank is filled with water.

I have never tried it and I suspect if I had a "built in" mild steel tank it would end up with a flexible liner inside it.

I MAKE STAINLESS STEEL TANKS THAT CAN BE FITTED INTO EXISTING SPACE REMOVING BOTTOM PART OF FRONT BULKHEAD TO INSTALL MADE IN TWO HALVES TO GET INTO BOAT MADE TO MEASURE FOR LARGE CAPACITY £550 PLUS FITTING MAINTAINANCE FREE TEL 01604511512 KEDIAN ENG LTD

no need to shout ............

just brush the loose crud out of the tank, and give it a coating of Vactan (potable water approved rust converter in an acrylic ? medium) which will hold the corrosion. Paco systems on the 'net are the suppliers. You'll need about 1 litre.

I have just finished painting my water tank last night, I gave it a coat of Vactan bought off e bay with postage about £15 used just over 1/2 litre then a couple of hours later went over it with water tank black 1 litre £7.32. All looks ok so it is a test to see how long the vactan keeps the rust away as the tank was a bit of a mess. So £25 ish with sandpaper to complete the Job.