River Avon locks

cornishdave

Featured Posts

We've just finished an excellent trip which included traveling down the Avon from Stratford to the Severn.

Just a bit of info that may be of use to anyone else going that way - some of those locks are damn tight length-wise for a 70ft boat! From Evesham onwards we had to go down the locks diagonally then push the front of the boat sideways to open the gate, so definitely no room for a second boat. One lock in particular no matter how much shuffling and pushing we did there was no way to open the gate. In the end following some advice from a kind angler we had to go down backwards then with the bow overhanging the cill we had enough room to open!

No complaints, was a fab trip - just a heads up for anyone else going down these locks in a 70 footer. 

• Greenie 1

We did the Avon a few weeks ago. Beautiful river and no problem for a 57ft boat. The high standard of maintenance puts C&RT to shame. Every paddle working and not one blue sign telling it's better by water.  Very friendly and accommodating people (special thanks to Brian & Mrs Brian) from the Avon Trust when boats were held up in Tewkesbury by the stoppage at Upper Lode. 

23 minutes ago, Midnight said:

We did the Avon a few weeks ago. Beautiful river and no problem for a 57ft boat. The high standard of maintenance puts C&RT to shame. Every paddle working and not one blue sign telling it's better by water.  Very friendly and accommodating people (special thanks to Brian & Mrs Brian) from the Avon Trust when boats were held up in Tewkesbury by the stoppage at Upper Lode. 

I couldn't agree more. Only minor problem is the same with all rivers and goes with the territory - moorings can be a little short on supply towards the end of the day so some flexibility is needed when planning, but we always found somewhere.

Odd question, but is yours the boat with the large yellow duck on top? 😀

22 hours ago, cornishdave said:

I couldn't agree more. Only minor problem is the same with all rivers and goes with the territory - moorings can be a little short on supply towards the end of the day so some flexibility is needed when planning, but we always found somewhere.

Odd question, but is yours the boat with the large yellow duck on top? 😀

It's a long time since I've been on the Avon but I seem to remember that a lot of the locks have long lock landings whereby you can moor but overnight only. Am I correct or just imagining it? 🙂

12 minutes ago, Grassman said:

It's a long time since I've been on the Avon but I seem to remember that a lot of the locks have long lock landings whereby you can moor but overnight only. Am I correct or just imagining it? 🙂

You are correct, they are clearly marked for the most part. I think the posts are painted light blue (or at least three top couple of feet) to indicate overnight mooring allowed

Edited by cornishdave

11 minutes ago, Grassman said:

Yes you remember right although many not too long.

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

............................  and those bloody heavy paddle mechanisms - "Cruise the Avon and have an upper body workout !! "

Come and try the Calder & Hebble then you will have something to whinge about.

On 08/09/2022 at 08:45, cornishdave said:

We've just finished an excellent trip which included traveling down the Avon from Stratford to the Severn.

Just a bit of info that may be of use to anyone else going that way - some of those locks are damn tight length-wise for a 70ft boat! From Evesham onwards we had to go down the locks diagonally then push the front of the boat sideways to open the gate, so definitely no room for a second boat. One lock in particular no matter how much shuffling and pushing we did there was no way to open the gate. In the end following some advice from a kind angler we had to go down backwards then with the bow overhanging the cill we had enough room to open!

No complaints, was a fab trip - just a heads up for anyone else going down these locks in a 70 footer. 

This must only be a problem going downstream as I don't recall any such problems going upstream with a pair of large Grand Unions, mind you it was a long time ago so my memory could be playing tricks.

Keith

4 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

This must only be a problem going downstream as I don't recall any such problems going upstream with a pair of large Grand Unions, mind you it was a long time ago so my memory could be playing tricks.

Keith

You're absolutely correct, not a problem going upstream as the bow can overhang the cill giving you an extra foot or so which makes life much easier

On 08/09/2022 at 08:45, cornishdave said:

Strensham Lock especially - we were breasted up with a dead engine to the largest size of Black Prince boat, had a bugger of a job getting out.