Our dream has turned to a dilemma, which we can just about handle but a nightmare we can’t

kimh

Featured Posts

To buy or not to buy…help, first boat! Found a boat whilst enjoying a stroll with the loved one, it looked unloved…it’s for sale, the dream starts…how much…£5000 I see the moneys worth but know nothing about narrow boats, it’s a ‘Springer’ yes a springer, so reading about them is worrying so the dream has a doupt!

The old girl is a 20ft 4-birth Redhill conversion Springer with a Yamaha outboard motor, it looks un loved and needs paint, had it out of the water, jet washed and surveyed

The survey says, satisfactory with advise to… vent to petrol stowage box, new floor to gas box, rubbing strip to be removed and replaced, wrong gas for winter so new boiler possibly, can’t have fridge because of petrol engine etc all little things adding up because of it’s age, but it’s 3mm and all the Springer stuff is getting us down.

So if we buy at £5000 (that includes none residential mooring fees paid for 6 months) so that’s £4600

£200 survey

£75 jet wash

£135…£3 a foot to blacken

£1200 to prep for paint (we fancy doing the top coat)

£80 top coat paint materials

£400 boiler

£800 heating (wabasto)

£900 internal self refit

£300 outboard service/overall

£600 to repair bumper strip…half paid by present owner

So that’s near on £9000 for a 20ft Springer all be it kitted to boot and to suit

Are we better off saving more? To me 3mm good is better than 10mm bad!

P.S. one yard says the Springer is sound and the other says 3mm ‘you will never get insurance’ and ‘if you do thay will want it out every year to prove it is still 3mm’

Our dream has turned to a dilemma, which we can just about handle but a nightmare we can’t

Help pleased to the ‘New to Boatings’… well all most, thanks

To buy or not to buy…help, first boat! Found a boat whilst enjoying a stroll with the loved one, it looked unloved…it’s for sale, the dream starts…how much…£5000 I see the moneys worth but know nothing about narrow boats, it’s a ‘Springer’ yes a springer, so reading about them is worrying so the dream has a doupt!

The old girl is a 20ft 4-birth Redhill conversion Springer with a Yamaha outboard motor, it looks un loved and needs paint, had it out of the water, jet washed and surveyed

The survey says, satisfactory with advise to… vent to petrol stowage box, new floor to gas box, rubbing strip to be removed and replaced, wrong gas for winter so new boiler possibly, can’t have fridge because of petrol engine etc all little things adding up because of it’s age, but it’s 3mm and all the Springer stuff is getting us down.

So if we buy at £5000 (that includes none residential mooring fees paid for 6 months) so that’s £4600

£200 survey

£75 jet wash

£135…£3 a foot to blacken

£1200 to prep for paint (we fancy doing the top coat)

£80 top coat paint materials

£400 boiler

£800 heating (wabasto)

£900 internal self refit

£300 outboard service/overall

£600 to repair bumper strip…half paid by present owner

So that’s near on £9000 for a 20ft Springer all be it kitted to boot and to suit

Are we better off saving more? To me 3mm good is better than 10mm bad!

P.S. one yard says the Springer is sound and the other says 3mm ‘you will never get insurance’ and ‘if you do thay will want it out every year to prove it is still 3mm’

Help pleased to the ‘New to Boatings’… well all most, thanks

Hi and welcome

I cant see why you would need to spend so much on faffinf around with stuff but others on here may well have other ideas. Springers have been around for a number of years and still going strong. As long as your survey shows the hull is sound then seems like worth 5 grand.

I dont see that you would need to replace the boiler just to convert from butane to propane. All ive ever changed on caravans and yachts is the regulator from the gas bottle.

Why do you need a webasto heater? Do you plan to livaboard a 20' boat? If you already have a gas boiler why not just see how much converting it to run a rad or two would cost.

If you have a gas boiler then what is the problem with a fridge? there are numerous 12v units available....gas version is another matter but even so, my understanding of the BSS is as long as your petrol instalation is outside the boat then there shouldnt be a problem otherwise you would also have probs with the boiler.

Venting the petrol locker is easy enough with an anglegrinder (dirt cheap at wicks). Just make sure it is sealed from the inside of the vessel.

Painting the boat yourself brings down the price as long as you have time to do it and preparing the topsides for painting.......do you wish to pay for a professional finish or be happy with what you can do with a brush and roller? You can make it look good yourself and only the cost of paint to worry about.

Whatever you do, hope it works out

Remember, doing your own work always gives a sense of satisfaction.

The original hull thickness on a new Springer was only around 4mm, so 3mm sounds reasonable. £9000 for an all-steel boat is not unreasonable .... you may find one cheaper, but it could take a while. If you like it, and are prepared to learn a lot of new skills, and make a couple of [usually expensive] mistakes, then go for it!

Phone a few insurers up, and get it from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I hope the survey has tested the hull thickness with ultrasound, and is not just a statement of what the original thickness is believed to be.

In any case take your time, it's unlikely to sell like a hot cake. :D

cheers,

Pete.

For what my 2 penneth worth is worth, 9000 for a 20ft springer with an outboard is to much money. Springer waterbugs often sell for 6-8 thous in fair nick.

Also you dont mention if the boat has a licence about £310 and a BSS certificate.

Good luck whatever you decide and welcome to the forum.

Oh and a flat bottommed 25ft mick sievright just sold for £8000 to my knowledge. Vetus engine, Just bin blacked, had BSS etc. Good time to buy and a bad time to sell. Have a look around a bit more before committing to purchase.

Edited by Maverick