Fresh Water Pump replacement

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Richardcn said:

Well talk about timing. The pump wouldn't run this morning, although a thumping got it going again, for now! It'll be a nervous few days until we get the new pump. Better fill up the water carriers methinks.

Any opinions on this pressure sensor? Looking at the spec pdf I think it's what I need. Have to order today though as it will be delivered to family and dropped off to us this weekend.

36 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Well talk about timing. The pump wouldn't run this morning, although a thumping got it going again, for now! It'll be a nervous few days until we get the new pump. Better fill up the water carriers methinks.

Any opinions on this pressure sensor? Looking at the spec pdf I think it's what I need. Have to order today though as it will be delivered to family and dropped off to us this weekend.

The RS pressure sensor seems OK, as far as I can tell. You'll need an adaptor from G1/4 to whatever for your pipework. G1/4 is 1/4BSP parallel thread.

• Happy 1

I had an  earlier version for ages ( 10 years or more) , till the micro switch inside it played up.  Should do what you want.  Note that it has two contacts, so you can use either and keep the other as a spare.  It does not appear to have a DC current  rating, though that should not be a problem.

N

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

4 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The RS pressure sensor seems OK, as far as I can tell. You'll need an adaptor from G1/4 to whatever for your pipework. G1/4 is 1/4BSP parallel thread.

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

I had an  earlier version for ages ( 10 years or more) , till the micro switch inside it played up.  Should do what you want.  Note that it has two contacts, so you can use either and keep the other as a spare.  It does not appear to have a DC current  rating, though that should not be a problem.

N

Brilliant (as is the forum always). Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Regards

Richard

On 01/08/2022 at 22:03, Richardcn said:

This thread came at a near perfect time for me. The water pump on my boat has just started leaking, running rough and not building enough pressure to shut off reliably. I've placed an order with Fox's Chandlery too, since this is a pretty good price.

The Par-Max-3 will replace a Par-Max-2.9, so I'm expecting it to be 0.1 better. 😀

0.1 what, Jabsco don't say!

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Haha 1

Just goes to show that you don't always miss what you ain't got. Turns out that our old pump must have been ill for some time as the flow from the new Jabsco is rather more than I ever remember having in the 7 years that we've owned the boat! But maybe it's just my memory? Either way it's AWESOME :). Just need to get the pressure switch installed now. Turns out that at the gauge (far end of the system) the new pump is only reading 22psi so we're still nicely in balance. I'll still fit the eternal switch though for better reliability and so that I can reduce the cut-in pressure. Just need to find the right darn connectors though!

I found the same thing. My pump arrived yesterday. Forgot to depressurise the system, so got a bit damp when I released the outlet quick connect fitting from the old pump! The new one is a lot quieter and better flow rate. It must have been going downhill for months, before it actually started leaking.

52 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Just need to find the right darn connectors though!

If you put a 15mm T fitting in to the pressurised output pipe, then one of these could be used. Would need a suitable insert, if using 15mm plastic pipe, but a short length of copper pipe would be fine. RS tends to be on the expensive side and in this case they sell them in two's, so I'm sure you can get something cheaper.

On 06/08/2022 at 15:04, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I found the same thing. My pump arrived yesterday. Forgot to depressurise the system, so got a bit damp when I released the outlet quick connect fitting from the old pump! The new one is a lot quieter and better flow rate. It must have been going downhill for months, before it actually started leaking.

If you put a 15mm T fitting in to the pressurised output pipe, then one of these could be used. Would need a suitable insert, if using 15mm plastic pipe, but a short length of copper pipe would be fine. RS tends to be on the expensive side and in this case they sell them in two's, so I'm sure you can get something cheaper.

Thanks for that. I was hoping to use some suitable 10mm i/d flexi hose that I have, joining the pressure switch to a new T where there's currently a flexi/plastic joiner. I just haven't been able to find a plastic 10mn barb (hose) connector so back to the drawing board. I still think hose is the best way to go though.

On 06/08/2022 at 15:04, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Forgot to depressurise the system, so got a bit damp when I released the outlet quick connect fitting from the old pump! 

Haha. I did the opposite and forgot to turn it back on. I  know which error I'd prefer ;)

2 minutes ago, Richardcn said:

Thanks for that. I was hoping to use some suitable 10mm i/d flexi hose that I have, joining the pressure switch to a new T where there's currently a flexi/plastic joiner. I just haven't been able to find a plastic 10mn barb (hose) connector so back to the drawing board. I still think hose is the best way to go though.

Try looking for a 3/8" hose tail instead of 10mm. 3/8" = 9.525mm.

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Try looking for a 3/8" hose tail instead of 10mm. 3/8" = 9.525mm.

Thanks, yeah I did do that but I still struggled to find a 15mm tube to 10mm barb connector. I got fed up looking eventually (after my thousandth product page). Hoping to be adjacent to Braunston Midland Swindlers tomorrow so I'm hoping cobble something together from there. Never actually been inside one but the wife won't let me take any cards with me she says ;)