Thetford C-260 series indicator

blackrose

Featured Posts

Yes there are two designs.....I suspect mounting the switch behind the panel is to protect the circuit board from moisture and corrosion. As @The Happy Nomad says there are also two types of circuit board. One has just one reed switch to activate the red 'full' light and the other has two reed switches to activate a 'half full' light too. But the principle is the same. @blackrose did you try holding a magnet to the circuit board to activate the lights?

Just tried the magnet trick. When I remove the cassette I get a flashing red light, so I don't think using a magnet is going to activate my reed switch/indicator panel as it's already activated. 

It didn't work anyway. The panel just kept flashing red because there was no cassette. As I say, I've seen up to two green lights to show that the cassette is starting to fill, but it never gets to the "full" red light before the cassette is already full. That's the same red light which flashes when the cassette is removed.

So I think it's all working but the calibration is out. 

Edited by blackrose

Thanks. I'm not sure why it doesn't work with the magnet but it does work (poorly) when the cassette is filled? 

Anyway, it all seems to come down to replacing the reed switch so let's see what Thetford say. 

Edited by blackrose

Thetford are sending me a new reed switch under warranty, so I'll update on how that goes when I get around to doing it. 

They originally said I had to replace the the float inside the cassettes and sent me a 48 page document which seems to cover everything. I've attached it in case it's useful for anyone else, or I can forward it if you send me a PM. 

I sent them that flowchart above posted by booke23 and they agreed to send me the reed switch.

C260 Repair Instructions.pdf

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thetford are sending me a new reed switch under warranty, so I'll update on how that goes when I get around to doing it. 

They originally said I had to replace the the float inside the cassettes and sent me a 48 page document which seems to cover everything. I've attached it in case it's useful for anyone else, or I can forward it if you send me a PM. 

C260 Repair Instructions.pdf 2.23 MB · 1 download

Had a quick look.

Very useful looking so Ive saved it. Not seen it before. 👍

26 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I sent them that flowchart above posted by booke23 and they agreed to send me the reed switch.

C260 Repair Instructions.pdf 2.23 MB · 3 downloads

I've never seen that either, basically a workshop manual for the C260. I've saved it myself, thanks for sharing and fingers crossed the new reed switch does the trick.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I fitted the new reed switch from Thetford. It's still doing exactly the same thing. 

That's a shame. The flow chart now suggests you replace the flush button control panel, but I'd test the wiring between the panel and reed switch before you do that.....unplug the wiring harness from the reed switch circuit board and unplug the other end from the control panel. Use a multimeter in continuity mode to test each plug terminal.......it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a wire was nicked or crushed during installation. 

11 hours ago, booke23 said:

That's a shame. The flow chart now suggests you replace the flush button control panel, but I'd test the wiring between the panel and reed switch before you do that.....unplug the wiring harness from the reed switch circuit board and unplug the other end from the control panel. Use a multimeter in continuity mode to test each plug terminal.......it's not beyond the realms of possibility that a wire was nicked or crushed during installation. 

Ok thanks. The reed switch cables on my toilet just disappear underneath and it doesn't look like it possible to remove them. The other end must end up at the control panel but I've no idea where. Even if I could work that out it's going to be  a difficult test, with one probe of the multimeter at back of the cassette dock and one at the control panel.

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Ok thanks. The reed switch cables on my toilet just disappear underneath and it doesn't look like it possible to remove them. The other end must end up at the control panel but I've no idea where. Even if I could work that out it's going to be  a difficult test, with one probe of the multimeter at back of the cassette dock and one at the control panel.

Well, why bother if Thetford are willing to keep sending parts for free! 

• 2 weeks later...

I've had no joy with this despite changing the reed switch and the display. On the advice of Thetford I've had my hand inside one of the cassettes to check the float was free and done the magnet test again on the reed switch. A small fridge magnet does nothing when passed over the reed switch, the red light just keeps flashing. My large sea searcher type magnet switches the red flashing light off completely but no other lights on the panel illuminate. 

Thetford are stumped and are now proposing sending out an engineer. 

• Greenie 1