Middle Northwich stem post.

Featured Posts

Hi again folks, just a quick (but quite niche) one for you. Aimee and I are working on middle Northwich butty, Regulus, and are replacing some thin steel in the bow locker, I'm hoping to rebuild the junction between the chine plates and the stem post to look somewhat original and am hoping someone on here might have a photo of the baseplate /stem post junction or, indeed, of the bottom of the bow locker itself! 

Thanks in advance! Steve

Do any of these help?

EDITED TO ADD:  The internal shot will be rather different from yours, because the 4 Middle Northwich boats converted to ice boats have much of their plate-work in the front doubled up, to produce twice the thickness of steel.  This significantly complicated things for Graeme when he was doing a substantial amount of steelwork repairs for us.

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Do any of these help?

EDITED TO ADD:  The internal shot will be rather different from yours, because the 4 Middle Northwich boats converted to ice boats have much of their plate-work in the front doubled up, to produce twice the thickness of steel.  This significantly complicated things for Graeme when he was doing a substantial amount of steelwork repairs for us.

IMG_1645.JPG

IMG_1688.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

Thanks Alan, those photos are exactly what we were looking for! 

Thankfully we don't need to replace quite as much steel but it will certainly be a task to shape it nicely to fit as you have had done. 

I don't know how TYCHO is fairing nowadays, but 20yrs ago her bow locker looked like this -

261648163_059e087PICT0122(Medium).JPG.b21dfa1b58e6a93603647fa6e034c310.JPG

The overplating did not go all the way down to the chine, and there is something that looks (and felt) suspiciously like a mortar/cement mix at the base of the stem - which is part of the five foot long ram which replaced completely the original stem post.

What might look like a gunnel in the right and left in this image, is in fact a thick reinforcing 'shelf' (for want of a better word) about two thirds of the way up. It extended back into the hold as a stiffener.

The other side of the front locker to hold bulkhead. It wouldn't surprise me to find all boats so shortened and reinforced were different in some ways.

1128815402_059dimg016.jpg.81ac2ff14a2ea0f3510f3a6cc3490458.jpg

Edited by Derek R.

3 hours ago, Derek R. said:

I don't know how TYCHO is fairing nowadays, but 20yrs ago her bow locker looked like this -

261648163_059e087PICT0122(Medium).JPG.b21dfa1b58e6a93603647fa6e034c310.JPG

The overplating did not go all the way down to the chine, and there is something that looks (and felt) suspiciously like a mortar/cement mix at the base of the stem - which is part of the five foot long ram which replaced completely the original stem post.

What might look like a gunnel in the right and left in this image, is in fact a thick reinforcing 'shelf' (for want of a better word) about two thirds of the way up. It extended back into the hold as a stiffener.

The other side of the front locker to hold bulkhead. It wouldn't surprise me to find all boats so shortened and reinforced were different in some ways.

1128815402_059dimg016.jpg.81ac2ff14a2ea0f3510f3a6cc3490458.jpg

Thanks for that, between Alan's pic and these I do know how we are going to do it now.. Very much appreciated!