Stern Gland - Where's the Packing Rope?

Featured Posts

Never repacked a stern gland before and was unable to find anything like the one that I have on the web (probably for lack of proper terminology) but could someone point to where I should be finding the packing rope?

My greaser goes into the tube a few inches below where the photo ends. All I've found so far is bearings.

Any help much appreciated!

Image5841417735400825388.jpg

Edited by auslander

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I have not found the location to insert the packing rope that I've already purchased. I have not found any old stuff inside my stern gland.

If I put my finger inside the center housing, I feel the threads and then immediately a bearing. Between the top two pieces are more bearings. Doesn't seem like there is room for rope anywhere.

Edited by auslander

13 minutes ago, auslander said:

Never repacked a stern gland before and was unable to find anything like the one that I have on the web (probably for lack of proper terminology) but could someone point to where I should be finding the parking rope?

My greaser goes into the tube a few inches below where the photo ends. All I've found so far is bearings.

Any help much appreciated!

Image5841417735400825388.jpg

I’m guessing that the bearing is bolted through the squarish plate onto the cross plate, and you grease the bearing through the nipple.

In the bottom of the picture where the threaded part of the stuffing box is visible, one would normally expect there to be room between the prop shaft and the stuffing box for the packing material.

If there is a gap, measure it and buy the appropriate dimension packing.

I hope this helps.

ETA What does the greaser just visible in the extreme left of the photo actually grease?

Perhaps you have t found any packing in the stern tube because 

a) there never was meant to be any, or

b) it has all worn away.

is there any play in the prop shaft, if you put your hand down the weed hatch and try lifting the shaft?

Edited by Stilllearning

3 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Is the cream coloured tube at the bottom of the picture the stern tube and welded to the steel of the hull?

Yes, it seems so.

Image5806986205516189935.jpg

Image503758567525236836.jpg

9 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I’m guessing that the bearing is bolted through the squarish plate onto the cross plate, and you grease the bearing through the nipple.

In the bottom of the picture where the threaded part of the stuffing box is visible, one would normally expect there to be room between the prop shaft and the stuffing box for the packing material.

If there is a gap, measure it and buy the appropriate dimension packing.

I hope this helps.

ETA What does the greaser just visible in the extreme left of the photo actually grease?

Perhaps you have t found any packing in the stern tube because 

a) there never was meant to be any, or

b) it has all worn away.

is there any play in the prop shaft, if you put your hand down the weed hatch and try lifting the shaft?

There doesn't seem to be room for any rope and there is no play in the prop. I'm on the hard so I gave it a good wiggle.

1 minute ago, Bargebuilder said:

It may be that the stern tube is entirely grease packed.

Isn't the light brown ring around the prop shaft some sort of packing?

Unless it has calcified into something hard like metal, I don't think so :)

Just got word that it might be a Volvo prop/stuffing box setup normally installed with Beta engines (mines a Ford) so I'll see what Google turns up with.

The clearance between the bearing and shaft might have opened over the years, giving the grease a harder time to keep the water out.

You could get a replacement, but it is a bigger job than re-packing a stern gland, or you could just try a thicker waterproof grease. Some of the white lithium greases might be thicker, but it looks like what you are using is white already.

2 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

The clearance between the bearing and shaft might have opened over the years, giving the grease a harder time to keep the water out.

You could get a replacement, but it is a bigger job than re-packing a stern gland, or you could just try a thicker waterproof grease. Some of the white lithium greases might be thicker, but it looks like what you are using is white already.

Thanks for the info. Here's the grease I'm using

Image4096535638159212459.jpg

If there is packing anywhere it should be in the internally threaded, partly cream painted tube with a square flange. 

31 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

Putting heavier grease in is not the long term answer.  You may well be able to pump the grease now, while the water is warmish, but come the middle of winter the grease will be much thicker and harder to pump when you need to seal the stern bearing.

If the stern bearing, or equally likely, the tail shaft, is worn then the proper cure is to replace the worn item.

N

White metal bearings are soft; it will be that if it is indeed a white metal bearing.

Of course replacing it is the long term solution, but it's a tricky job and possibly not one the OP would tackle himself.

It's rubbish that the lithium grease would be too thick to pump in the winter, those greasers exert plenty of pressure.

20 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

White metal bearings are soft; it will be that if it is indeed a white metal bearing.

Of course replacing it is the long term solution, but it's a tricky job and possibly not one the OP would tackle himself.

It's rubbish that the lithium grease would be too thick to pump in the winter, those greasers exert plenty of pressure.

I'll look into replacements but I assume special tools and sourcing parts might be troublesome.

Never seen anything like that but some comments.

I do not think new bearings will be  a long term solution.

The brown ring between the stern tube and shaft looks very much like a sintered bronze bush to me EXCEPT there seems to be some distortion  on the visible face. This makes me wonder if it is a brass  housing for a lip seal. If it is, and it is worn then it would explain the leak. So clean the grease off and see if there is a gap between the brown bit and the shaft with rubber or leather on the other side of it. Also try to decide if it is "solid" metal or a light sheet metal housing of an L section. If it is not solid metal or if you can identify rubber or leather behind it then it is  a lip seal that can be hooked/pulled out of the tube and replaced (wrap masking/insulation/sticky tape around the part of the shaft the coupling clamps to in case it is burred and thus damages any new seal.

I would also like to see a front view of the housing with the bearing and grease nipple on it. There might be an O ring, square section O ring or lip seal set in the front of that housing.

The middle part that you have removed and left on the shaft. That is another place one might expect to find a lip seal or seal. This location would be indicated as possible by having two grease points. The greaser for the shaft bearings (in the tube) and the grease nipple for the bearing thing in the front piece.

All supposition but having said all that It may be easier to  see if a conventional packed gland can be screwed onto the tube and secured to the cross member using spacers on the bolts if needed.

Edited by Tony Brooks

3 hours ago, auslander said:

I'll look into replacements but I assume special tools and sourcing parts might be troublesome.

You are right, whatever the seal, it won't be an easy job, but don't panic, time is on your side. A heavy grease will slow the drips, possibly to an acceptable level, and may delay the need for replacement for years. 

The arrangement you have won't fail catastrophically, the dripping will just slowly get worse. A good pump of waterproof grease before you leave the boat should continue to stop the dripping completely until you next spin the prop shaft.

For your peace of mind, an automatic bilge pump would be a wise addition and then get round to replacing the worn part when you can.