Getting my head around diesel heaters

W+T

Featured Posts

On 03/07/2022 at 17:17, Mad Harold said:

These heaters come with plastic fuel pipes and to keep your BSC man happy they need to be changed to metal.Car brake pipe if I remember 3/16 ID

3/16" OD (5mm ish) outside diameter brake pipe, not inside diameter. This gives a very small inside bore, which the heater needs to restrict the flow of diesel from the pump and not get over fueled. Basically the same bore as the thin plastic tube they come with, but in a more fire resistant material. A brake pipe flaring tool can put flares on the end to help retain suitable marked, BSS compliant fuel hose (with clips) for joining lengths and to heater, pump, etc.

It does sound like the examiner is doubling down on the room sealed bit, rather than admit to being wrong.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

On 05/07/2022 at 08:52, Jen-in-Wellies said:

3/16" OD (5mm ish) outside diameter brake pipe, not inside diameter. This gives a very small inside bore, which the heater needs to restrict the flow of diesel from the pump and not get over fueled. Basically the same bore as the thin plastic tube they come with, but in a more fire resistant material. A brake pipe flaring tool can put flares on the end to help retain suitable marked, BSS compliant fuel hose (with clips) for joining lengths and to heater, pump, etc.

It does sound like the examiner is doubling down on the room sealed bit, rather than admit to being wrong.

I've had a Chinese knock off of an Eberspacher diesel heater for the last 6 years. It is in a cupboard in a living area and it's fuel tank is in another locker. I've had two BSS examinations since it's installation, by two different inspectors and neither looked in any of the lockers or found either the heater or its tank or examined it's hoses. They didn't even spot the warm air outlets to the two cabins it serves. Neither inspector looked at the sea toilet to check it had a sea cock on the outlet and neither checked the fuel hoses on the diesel engine for the correct markings. I am happy that all is as it should be, but question the effectiveness of the examination process.

• Greenie 1