RCR Fuel Levy

Midnight

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, MtB said:

This all looks thoroughly unprofessional to me. Why on earth is it "not fair" to raise prices across the board? This is the whole point of breakdown insurance. Everyone contributes equally to the smooth out the 'lumpiness' of otherwise paying nothing for years then getting an unmanageably large bill.

This looks to me like a step along the road to charging full price for each and every call out.  I mean, what about these stories we hear of where someone gets a £1000 gearbox replaced on their RCR breakdown insurance? Surely by their own argument this is equally 'unfair', as members not needing a new gearbox are partially contributing to the cost. 

The businesslike thing to do would be to raise their rates to cover their increased fuel (and other) costs. 

I suppose (as a beneficiary of the gearbox grand) because they hope petrol prices will come down, when this will disappear. No doubt if it seems permanent then it will be phased into the standard price.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I suppose (as a beneficiary of the gearbox grand) because they hope petrol prices will come down, when this will disappear. No doubt if it seems permanent then it will be phased into the standard price.

Why on earth would they think that? 

Vans run on diesel anyway not petrol, and diesel prices have taken a step change upwards because of the west's decision to sanction Russian diesel exports. So current diesel prices are set to stay much the same for years, unless you know something about Putin's war that no-one else does.

11 hours ago, MtB said:

Why on earth would they think that? 

Vans run on diesel anyway not petrol, and diesel prices have taken a step change upwards because of the west's decision to sanction Russian diesel exports. So current diesel prices are set to stay much the same for years, unless you know something about Putin's war that no-one else does.

They've said they'll withdraw the levy if fuel drops below 1.60, nowt to do with me. I don't expect it ever will, and i suspect this is a rapid response to the increase which will be incorporated into their ordinary pricing in future.

I suspect they make their money from the thousands who buy a policy and never move their boats out of the marina, like any other insurance company. They're only another form of gambling business, after all.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, MtB said:

This all looks thoroughly unprofessional to me. Why on earth is it "not fair" to raise prices across the board? This is the whole point of breakdown insurance. Everyone contributes equally to the smooth out the 'lumpiness' of otherwise paying nothing for years then getting an unmanageably large bill.

This looks to me like a step along the road to charging full price for each and every call out.  I mean, what about these stories we hear of where someone gets a £1000 gearbox replaced on their RCR breakdown insurance? Surely by their own argument this is equally 'unfair', as members not needing a new gearbox are partially contributing to the cost. 

The businesslike thing to do would be to raise their rates to cover their increased fuel (and other) costs. 

True, but maybe they have cashflow problems. It would take a year to raise everyone's subscription by which time hopefully the fuel crisis will be over, whereas the callout supplement raises cash when it is needed. 

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

True, but maybe they have cashflow problems. It would take a year to raise everyone's subscription by which time hopefully the fuel crisis will be over, whereas the callout supplement raises cash when it is needed. 

Collecting a couple of hundred quid a week in fuel levies isn't going to make any difference to a company the size of RCR with cashflow problems.

More likely and reading between the lines, I suspect their engineers have been kicking off and refusing to drive long distances to breakdowns, so the £15 goes straight to the engineers to persuade them to travel. If I'm right about this, it will have negligible impact on the cashflow of RCR.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Collecting a couple of hundred quid a week in fuel levies isn't going to make any difference to a company the size of RCR with cashflow problems.

More likely and reading between the lines, I suspect their engineers have been kicking off and refusing to drive long distances to breakdowns, so the £15 goes straight to the engineers to persuade them to travel. If I'm right about this, it will have negligible impact on the cashflow of RCR.

Surely that will depend on the number of callous per day?

You seem to have assumed less than 2 per day, which I doubt is correct. Where did you get this information from?

RCR is a profiteering company with some very dubious practices, what else would you have expected?

As most callout are by "agent" i.e. subbies, they will be the ones needing the money. I bet the rates that RCR pay them; make a zero hours contract look like  a lottery win.

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

RCR is a profiteering company with some very dubious practices, what else would you have expected?

As most callout are by "agent" i.e. subbies, they will be the ones needing the money. I bet the rates that RCR pay them; make a zero hours contract look like  a lottery win.

If you actually manage to get a subcontractor, they invoice RCR their standard rate. If you want someone who knows old engines, that's what you demand and ultimately get - but both my local engineers of choice have stopped working for them after arguments or refusals to pay. Mostly you get employees or lowgrade subbies who can do the basics but with no real expertise.