Scale drawings needed showing narrowboat dimensions to make a model

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone 

I am one of those annoying Vloggers, but with a difference we are a long way of owning our narrowboat and we have started our vlogs in the planning stage to show the full journey

Now our next step is to make a model I think its 12th scale or it may be 1/12 not sure how its said but its 1 inch to 1 foot so we are making a 57" scale model for a 57' narrowboat problem is i cannot find the full dimensions of the hull I know 57' x 6'10" but i need all the heights IE base to gunnels gunnels to roof etc etc can anyone help?

Paul

Every boat is different. If you have a boatbuilder in mind for your boat you could ask for the dimensions he builds to, or perhaps the opportunity to measure one of his boats in build. If you are still at an earlier stage, then any dimensions you may estimate can't be wrong!

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

And just to note, most modern narrowboat hulls are built off a 2m wide baseplate, then taper out to 6'10" over the top guard, then taper in a little to the gunwale. But a few boatbuilders build 'Brumagem square' hulls which have vertical sides and a wider baseplate.

For a modern narrowboat I think you'd need to talk to a boatbuilder as suggested.

I wanted some plans for historic craft (a good few years ago) so contacted the National Waterways Museum at Gloucester. They have plans, and would make copies, for a fair price.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Out of interest what's the scale model going to be used for exactly? 

we have a youtube channel we are traveling back from Florida USA to Great Britain, open a business (gift shop) then get a narrowboat and live on it, we have started vlogging our long journey back with information videos but of course no narrowboat so as I have helped my sister in Lancashire build furniture for her dolls house I thought it would be fun on the youtube channel to build a scale model of our future boat

32 minutes ago, DarrenG said:

For a modern narrowboat I think you'd need to talk to a boatbuilder as suggested.

I wanted some plans for historic craft (a good few years ago) so contacted the National Waterways Museum at Gloucester. They have plans, and would make copies, for a fair price.

Thanks thats a great idea, Ps not sure if i am replying in the correct way, cannot find a way to like replies yet

8 minutes ago, Paul-Ourchangingviews said:

Thanks thats a great idea, Ps not sure if i am replying in the correct way, cannot find a way to like replies yet

I'm no expert but words always work better 😀 

There is normally a button, bottom right of each post, it is a grey circle with a white arrow inside, hover over that and choose your emoticon of choice.

image.png

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

56 minutes ago, Paul-Ourchangingviews said:

I thought it would be fun on the youtube channel to build a scale model of our future boat

Ok, different strokes for different folks. I suppose. I wouldn't watch someone build a model of a narrowboat on YouTube, but I'm sure others would. 

• Greenie 1