Coal fired to end?

zenataomm

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, MtB said:

Or so you say, without putting forward one shred of evidence.

I could present evidence, but can you present evidence that it does? The reason I won't, is because it would start a rather pointless argument which meteorological and Earth scientists have already debunked through scientific records and measurements, and there are a great many websites on which this can be found. This particular one is centred around canals and the history thereof, and that's the way it really should remain.

If my comment above, that you have quoted, has caused any offence, or triggered a blood pressure 'moment' - then I apologise to one and all profusely.

,Qld Railways run their museum fleet on LP gas,and toss in some used tyres for smoke..............I must check up on car tyres,as I think(maybe) they no longer have steel wire in them,but rather carbon fibre ,or maybe kevlar.......................I pretty sure  tyres are used as fuel for cement kilns ,which is why I suspect the wire is gone...............

16 hours ago, john.k said:

(snipped) . . . ,and toss in some used tyres for smoke.............. (snipped)

Good grief! Rubber stinks to high heaven. Can't imagine that would improve visitor ratings!

We sometimes burn a tyre or two on the farm to get some heat into incinerating brash, plenty of wire left behind. But the tyres may be 20yrs old or more.

A steam buff friend reckons that LP gas plus  tyre has the lovely hot bitumen smell of Ipswich (Qld) coal burning..........I dont think a complete tyre will fit in through the firebox door,so they must be burning bits.........big difference to backyard burning ,and a white hot furnace.........I recall when the Flying Scotsman and NSWGR #3801  were up here ,the QGR locos were pouring smoke ,while the other two had smokeless exhausts..........someone reckoned at the time they were using bagged sawdust soaked in waste oil .