Normal bikes, ebikes, and exercise regimes for older liveaboards

Tony1

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, IanD said:

I expect you're right that the Tern BYB will be less of a thief magnet than a Brompton, but it's just as expensive (there are cheaper Terns though)... 😉

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/4528/best-folding-bikes-travel-smarter

https://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/outdoor-activity/cycling/best-folding-bikes-a88061.html

I think my hope on the security issue would be that a Tern bikes give you a bit less desirability to thieves.

For example, I wouldn't leave a brompton locked up and unattended anywhere, except outside a small village shop, and even then only for 15-20 mins. 

The likes of the Tern is an unknown- a gamble. Some of the pro bike thieves will know the Tern name, and probably know it has value, so if visiting a normal town I'd probably take the anonymous Fiido ebike instead for shopping and errands (that said, any ebike of any type is also a target apparently...) 

If I took the tern, I would have the option to fold it and wheel it around the shop with me on its trolley rack thing. The extra flexibility seems like a good idea.

In smaller or more rural places, with less likelihood of roaming bike thieves in a van, I could lock up a bike like the BYB outside the local Sainsburys and not worry too much. 

The good thing about folders (apart from Bromptons) is that I dont think thieves target them as much as say MTBs. 

So with a bit of luck a mid-range folder will go unmolested in places where a mid-range MTB might be at significant risk. 

My plan if I get the Tern is to use tape to obscure the manufacturer name, in the hope that even pro or determined amateur bike thieves might pass by it. 

There's no certain answer, sadly. Its all about trying to reduce risk with bike security, as we know. You can never stop them completely, you can only make it difficult, and have a bike that is perhaps less desirable to them. 

50 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We had a 45 foot Reeves NB.

When the pumpout tank was removed and the bathroom / bed was re-jigged a narrow 'double decker wardrobe' was built between the bed and the bathroom bulkhead. This acommodated two folding bikes (one on the shelf above the other) and only took up a minimal amount of space.

I think if I moored in Manchester town centre or similar, I'd move the folding ebike inside the boat temporarily, but to be honest since it folds down anyway, it doesnt get in the way at all on the stern deck when I'm cruising, although when I have visitors on the stern deck I do put it into the cratch.

Reworking the boat interior to create an ebike storage space would be ideal on a bigger boat, but its a lot of work, and as a liveaboard there's little enough storage as it is in a 50 footer, so chained on the stern deck is its normal place.  The brompton obviously is kept indoors.

1 hour ago, Tony1 said:

I think my hope on the security issue would be that a Tern bikes give you a bit less desirability to thieves.

For example, I wouldn't leave a brompton locked up and unattended anywhere, except outside a small village shop, and even then only for 15-20 mins. 

The likes of the Tern is an unknown- a gamble. Some of the pro bike thieves will know the Tern name, and probably know it has value, so if visiting a normal town I'd probably take the anonymous Fiido ebike instead for shopping and errands (that said, any ebike of any type is also a target apparently...) 

If I took the tern, I would have the option to fold it and wheel it around the shop with me on its trolley rack thing. The extra flexibility seems like a good idea.

In smaller or more rural places, with less likelihood of roaming bike thieves in a van, I could lock up a bike like the BYB outside the local Sainsburys and not worry too much. 

The good thing about folders (apart from Bromptons) is that I dont think thieves target them as much as say MTBs. 

So with a bit of luck a mid-range folder will go unmolested in places where a mid-range MTB might be at significant risk. 

My plan if I get the Tern is to use tape to obscure the manufacturer name, in the hope that even pro or determined amateur bike thieves might pass by it. 

There's no certain answer, sadly. Its all about trying to reduce risk with bike security, as we know. You can never stop them completely, you can only make it difficult, and have a bike that is perhaps less desirable to them. 

Paint the bike bright pink. That should discourage the scrotes 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Scrotes are available in many of the available 'sexes'.

I don't think he meant anything to do with the sex of the scrotes, simply that bright pink bikes are generally far less floggable and therefore less attractive to said scrotes... 😉

5 minutes ago, IanD said:

I don't think he meant anything to do with the sex of the scrotes, simply that bright pink bikes are generally far less floggable and therefore less attractive to said scrotes... 😉

Unfortunately a luminous pink bike would be far less attractive to me as well. Not wanting to be all macho or anything, but you know. I do a good enough job  of looking daft already. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

Correct. No sense of humour 🤪🤪